Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the results are in and it doesn't look good
Check out ... http://community.webshots.com/album/78464371PcGaFz ... These pictures are of two OEM filters that were purchased at the same time. The first 4 are of a never used filter that was still contained in unbroken shrink-wrap. The second series is of a companion filter after 12,000 miles. They were both sent to mdrag (Diesel Page moderator) to cut open. His comments can be found over on that site. To quote George Morrison's response to these pictures:

Thank you so much for those superb "cuts" (as always!) and photos.. This filter is totally uncacceptable for use in our engines. The sub-micronic abrasives that would be released with use would cause considerable damage to a fuel system. It looks like we should do some more "new" filter inspections as we know there are very few true manufacturers of our filters; we need to make sure they aren't all like this..

It is my understanding that all OEM fuel filters for our trucks are produced by the same manufacturer and then labeled for sale by various companies. If this is the case, we could clearly have a problem. One can't help but wonder if (as per George's comment above) this couldn't be a contributor to some reported injector problems. Results like this have confirmed (for me) the need for post OEM filtration .... Jim

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I feel the same way. I don't trust that OEM one bit.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Not funny at all... I guess you really have to see it with your own eyes off your own truck to believe. When I cut my filter open last night, I was amazed at all the rust at the bottom and on the sides. I guess some of us are in denial....thinking there is nothing wrong with the stock setup. I tell you it made a believer of secondary filtration when I cut mine open.

Bob

·
Registered
74 Posts
Maybe the Racor add on isn't such a bad idea.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is my understanding that Racor is the company that makes OEM filters for GM's D'maxes. It is clear that addition of a good aftermarket filter (meaning 2 micron capability) should be given strong consideration. Because it also clearly appears our OEM filters may add what have been termed "sub-micronic abrasives" to our fuel, it seems logical that, regardless of the addition of a pre-OEM filtration, 2-micron filtration should be strongly considered post OEM....JimEdited by: JEBar

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was going to go pre with a Racor setup I just picked up.After seeing this I may have to go post.Has anyone taken a new Racor aux filter apart to see if it has the same problems.My dad is sitting here & says to throw some Marvel Mystery Oil in it,that will cure anything.LOL....of course he drives an old Dodge CDT & doesn't know any better.....

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I beleive from some of the recent fuel analysis in the last few months, the Racor 660 frame mount (pre-OEM) posted one of the best, if not the best, results thus far? Edited by: tophog

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
I wonder how many new filters look like that. Every one of my OEM filters have been cut open, and I have yet to see any rust inside. the only thing i've seen is a bit of that sludge in the bottom. since installing my cat filter i've only changed the OEM once and that one didn't have any sludge or rust in it. perhaps the new filters sat somewhere in a moist enviro. before making it to the customer? i believe i bought my case of them from DIS.

Nick

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Mackin said:
The Cat Pre OEM has resulted in the best results so far ...

Mac

There's a spreadsheet or something that contains all the results right? Anyone know the URL?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
OC_DMAX said:
Try one of these:

For a PDF version:

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO/OC_Dmax.pdf

For the Excel version:

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO/OC_Dmax.xls

The spreadsheet contains data from Fuel Analysis Reports performed by AVLUBE for various people who posted their results on the Diesel Page.

Thanks fo rthe link. Is there any one particular measurement that determines the most efficient filter? I guess I was comparing based on the ISO code of 13/11/8 of your results however no other numbers are shown, including Overall Efficiency.Edited by: tophog

·
Registered
994 Posts
Topdog and Mr X,

The fuel sample that I took has shown the best ISO Cleanliness Code results to-date. However, do not form any conclusions from this.

In order to determine the efficiency of the filter, two samples need to be taken. One into the filter and then one out of the filter. When you examine the spreadsheet data, you will see filter efficiency calculated for some filters and not for others. Where no overall filter efficiency data is available, it is because only one sample was taken (at the output).

I took only one sample, just for the simple case of cost. It costs about $60 to have a sample analyzed. Since I fuel at the same Chevron station in my home town of Yorba Linda, CA 90% of the time, I wanted to determine whether the fuel was sufficiently filtered to meet the minimum ISO Cleanliness requirements originally suggested by George Morrison of AVLUBE. The results I obtained met his requirement of 15/13/10 (and exceeded it with some margin). I really was not interested in the overall efficiency. Those results had already been shown to be sufficient (and reasonable) for the Racor 660 filter in previous tests run by Greg L in the spread sheet.

I would not judge any of these supplemental filters as the best solely based on the sample data people have taken and had processed by AVLUBE. The only way to really compare their filtering efficiencies absolutely would be in a lab environment, side-by-side. In my opinion, the conclusion you should take from these tests (and spreadsheet) is that the CAT, Mega and Racor supplemental filters (whether Pre-OEM or Post-OEM) have demonstrated the ability to meet the ISO Cleanliness requirements originally suggested by George.

I hope the above helps,

Have a good day (or whats left of it!!)

AlanEdited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
307 Posts
OC_DMAX,

Thank you for your quick clarification. Believe me, it was not my intent to start another filter debate at all.

BTW, I've taken the liberty of archiving on my PC your detailed description of your meticulous sampling technique. That would make a great article in the 'How To, Do it Yourself" forum.

I recall you saying that the varying test results of these 2 micron filters could actually be a reflection of the varying sample collection methods rather than any significant difference in filter efficiency.

They're all delivering results that exceed George's specs.

(Used to live on Yorba Linda Bl & Chapman until '94).

·
Registered
994 Posts
Between Yorba Linda Blvd and Chapman Ave, that puts you over by the University. Used to go by there everyday on the way to work in Fullerton. Now I fight the traffic wars and drive to El Segundo (near LAX) everyday. Oh well,,,

Later,

Alan

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yep it was by Ralph's there.

I have to go from HB to downtown LA. About the same difference as your YL to El Segundo, maybe mines a little shorter come to think of it - about 35 miles for me. No fun on the 405 by LAX or anywhere on the 405, anytime, for that matter.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Alan,

Do you still have the same OEM filter installed from when you took the sample. With your excellant sample it should provide good data on the rust saga. I'd be curious to know if it is clean or rusty.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Alan's comments on not comparing fuel filter results in terms of 'absolute best' are 100% correct. The results we have gotten to date have been incredible considering the environment and conditions the samples have been taken; everyone has done a super job. A fuel filter setup that achieves anything close to the 15/13/10 or better is a 'winner'..
George Morrison, STLE CLS

·
Registered
307 Posts
Speaking of filter casing rust did you all see that report by BlueOx03 of some rust spots in a Baldwin filter replacement for the Mega?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts