Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often does everyone change the factory fuel filter with the Nicktane/Cat filter? I am wondering if you can change the factory every other time. I just changed the cat with 7500 miles for the first time. I cut it open and it's just starting to turn dark in color. I put on about 1000 to 1200 miles per week and am wondering if I can go with longer change intervals?

I love this board as this is my first diesel, you guys are the best!!!

Happy Holidays to all!

Edited by: gottago

·
Registered
772 Posts
Gottago,

I'm going to change the OEM at the factory recommended intervals just to make sure there are not warranty issues should an injector let go. As for that big yellow can, I'm thinking at least 10k, maybe more. The reason I say this is that the gentlemen from the other site who originally recommended the cat filter stated that these were used for many thousands of mile on OTR trucks that pumped much higher volumes of fuel through them than our comparatively little engines will. Your observation that at 7,500 miles the Cat filter medium is just turning dark bears that out.

TC

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got the Nictane filter and plan on changing the OEM at the recommended inverals as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that your ONLY water trap is on the bottom of the OEM filter and if your going to empty/test it every so often you might as well go ahead and replace the filter.

Another reason is quite a few of the OEM filters seem to develop rust in them and there is nothing between the OEM and the HP/Injectors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts