Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone who has removed their OEM front shocks tell me what the extended and compressed lengths are?

It would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
429 Posts
From the center of the lower eye to the center of the upper grommets mine are 12" and 16-1/2", overall is 15-1/4" and 19-3/4".

Josh

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a million Josh!

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Camstyn said:
Can anyone who has removed their OEM front shocks tell me what the extended and compressed lengths are?

It would be very much appreciated!

About three inches to short for my cranked front end

I have a brand new set (Bought last spring) of Rancho 9000X with in cab remote. The reason they are not on, is because I need to make 2-3" extentions for each of them. And I am either busy, or lazy. I guess the truck will be wore out before I get around to it.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure it is your shocks topping out, and not your control arms hitting the bump stops on the frame?

As others have posted, green keys/torsion bar adjustment won't change suspension travel, just the position in the travel where it rides.

·
Registered
457 Posts
GMCSLEHD are you saying the fronts off the truck measure:

12" compressed
16.5" extended

What are the 15.75" and 19.75" measurements?

·
Registered
429 Posts
The 15-1/4" & 19-3/4" are from the tip of the top stud (whatevever you want to call it) to the bottom of the lower eyelet fully compressed and fully extended. Just threw them in there for reference.

Josh

Edited by: GMCSLEHD

·
Registered
457 Posts
So those measurements came off the truck fully extended w/ the tire off the ground and fully compressed meaning you struck the tire in the wheel wel as far as you could go? What are your torsion bars set at?

·
Registered
429 Posts
No, what we have he is failure to communicate (JK)
. Those lengths are just the OEM shocks, off the truck, which, I think, is what Camstyn was asking. I have no idea what the lengths would be with them mounted.

Josh

·
Registered
457 Posts
Guns n Roses - "What we've got here is failure to communcate"

GMCSLEHD just so we're clear the 12" and 16.5" is on the truck while 15.25" and 19.75" is the measurement of the shocks off the truck? Or are those front/rear? Etc? Just ant to clarify.

·
Registered
429 Posts
y2kboti,

LOL!
OK, all the measurement are taken from the FRONT OEM shocks, whilst off the truck. The 12" and 16.5" are the center to center mounting points. The 15.25" and 19.75" are taken the outer most points on each end of the shock. Hope this clears things up.

Josh

·
Registered
457 Posts
Gotcha obviously I was confused because of your second set of numbers. The outermost measurements don't make a difference, only the center of the eyelet to center of pin. Thanks for clarification.

Along these lines someone w/ Bilstein replacement shock should measure theirs extended and compresses for comparrison purpose. Edited by: y2kboti

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
y2kboti, I always check the new shocks dimensions against the old before installing them. I am positive the shock manufactures do also. They also make shocks for different lift heights. Later! Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts