Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has an '02 2500HD, DA, 4x4 that he purchased new (one of the reasons I fell in love with the D/A
). I was talking to him tonight and he described an "observation" with the truck. Since he took initial delivery, he experiences a phenomena with the oil staying at the full mark for about 3500 miles and then, it just starts dissappearing. About every 300 miles, it goes down another hash mark on the dip stick.

Now, you gotta know my dad. Meticulous! Logs all maintenance and fuel fill-ups with his vehicles. Takes extremely good care of his vehicles and he can tell you any changes in sound, vibration, performance from week to week. I have verified the following:
<UL>
<LI>Always has used Shell Rotella 15W-40</LI>
<LI>Always checks oil while parked on flat surface</LI>
<LI>Checks when engine is cold for consistency (usually in the morning)</LI>
<LI>This has occurred for almost two years now in all weather and driving conditions (cold/warm/hot/dry/humid)</LI>
<LI>Method of pulling and re-seating dip stick is consistent</LI>
<LI>No oil leaks whatsoever</LI>
<LI>The truck now has about 27,000 miles on it</LI>[/list]

What else is there? After approx 3500 miles, does it just start burning oil? (No)

Do the chemical properties of the oil change to the point that it burns or otherwise consumes or discharges oil (maybe, but unlikely)

Why would this not be a consistent consumption of oil througout life of the oil?

We thought about contacting GM or Shell but I offered to drop this out here to you folks first and see what you could suggest. I am new to diesels and this forum has provided a ton (or maybe 3/4 ton
) of information. Great site!

Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Temperature has alot to do with oil level. If the temp is hot the level will rise and visa versa if cold. Haven't heard of any oil consumption problems yet.

Should still be under warranty, take it in for a check up!

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I always use Valvoline Premuium Blue. Did my first oil change at 3K and approx. every 4k since. Oil on dipstick is always right where I left it. If your motor is at 3500 miles it might not be broken in yet. Go drive it like a raped ape for about a week. This otta fix it.
Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Its burning the oil after it starts breaking down. I would switch oils to a different brand. If that doesnt work I would try synthetic.

·
Registered
85 Posts
BKG-22

I wonder if the level on the stick would show "higher" after an oil change. What I mean is that it may be further up the stick than the highest mark. I was wondering the other day after changing mine just where it was on the stick. I know that it was at least as high as the highest mark, but where did it actually stop? If his oil is always clean it would be hard to tell if it was over the high mark. That might explain why it doesn't appear to be using any until it is bleow the highest mark. Just my .02

I have seen on other posts that the level can vary from stick to stick just make sure to use 10 quarts for a change w/filter.

Mike

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. Let me respond to a couple of your comments and suggestions:

dslbrnr - the oil may not be checked the way the manual states it should (e.g. I think it says you have to warm it up and then let it set for 5-10 minutes prior to checking). But for the problem he is having, I think consistency/uniformity is the key. And this he does quite well. For uniformity purposes, he checks the oil in the morning prior to whatever his driving may be for the day. The engine is always cold (relative to the temp outside). So, you have a legitimate point - but I am not sure if it applies here. Problem has been documented year around (winter & summer).

problemchild - That was actually one thing that was taken into consideration and short of either having the oil tested (av-lube????) or switchiung to a different brand for an oil change cycle, this cannot be verified. But this will probably be one of the next steps. Thanks! Also Shell Rotella has a pretty good reputation - especially for dino oil - so I would "hope" this is not the case. The truck is not worked hard (no towing, not raced/chipped, etc).

HisDMAX - Good point, I will mention this to him to make sure he is not overfilling. Maybe it does not show early on that it is actually consuming oil until it gets down to a certain point on the dip stick. I will also add that he has looked for signs of burning oil via the exhaust and there are no signs that he nor I have seen.

I think the next step would be to take it into the shop for a check-up. Also may change oil brand to see if that makes a difference.

Not to start a new thread, but suggestions on oil? Obviously he is running Rotella - but I know Mobil & Chevron also sell a 15W-40 dino oil. Amsoil makes a synthetic and I think Mobil (Delvac 1 or something like that?) makes a synthetic as well that meets CI-4/CH-4 specs?

·
Registered
85 Posts
BKG-22

My comment about the dipsticks varying was one I remember reading in another thread. If he is putting in 10 he's not overfilling when changing out the filter also. IMO Maybe next change he could fill to the top mark and monitor? There is also another thread here that mentions drilling small holes in the dipstick at each level for an accurate reading. That really doesn't apply to his issue, just another thought.

As far as oil suggestions I can't be of much help there. I have run the Rotella 15-40 since new and just switched to their 5- 30(I think) synthetic (blend) which is around $12. It isn't a full synthetic but it seems better to run in the colder temps and the Oil pressure isn't real high at start up on these cold mornings.

Mike

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got him a case of Delvac 1 today. Will see if this makes any difference. Will post results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts