Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Eric,

Would my dealer install the OD lockout button and indicator for free if I let him know I am having a problem with the Allison dropping out of OD often when I am towing? I had the truck in specifically for this complaint last year and they checked the firmware and said everything was up to date (this was @ 8 months ago) but I'm still unhappy with it. My camper only weighs @ 8k. I thought there was a TSB that said the dealer would do this for free if still under warranty (mine is).

·
Registered
489 Posts
I had the same complaint. The dealer almost laughed at me, but then said there is a kit available and for $$$$ he would be happy to put it in.

I bought the pins from Chev Parts, the switch and led from Radio Shack. It took me maybe 45 min to put in a piece of "phone" cable, the pins, and the led/switch in my window post gauges.

Looks good and is handy to just reach up with the left hand to push the button.

What's interesting is that after the dealer turned me down, I wrote a letter to Chev's Corp. President. I got a call from the presidents "assistant" and was told that "if I wanted that feature to buy an 03. I told them they put a five speed in a truck with a four speed guage pack." They didn't care.

Good luck, you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Do it yourself or get a power adder such as the juice. No more hunting

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
IIRC its performed free when under the factory warrenty. I will post the TSB and detailed instructions on install in the TSB section and the DIY section of the forum tomarrow (9/24)

Eric

·
Registered
396 Posts
Eric,

If you have a Chevy, can you take it to a GMC dealer for warranty work. And visc versa with a GMC?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I guess I should read more thoroughly on the lockout switch.....not a warranty issue
. Still would like to know the above question. Edited by: KTDURAMAX

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
The lock out switch unfortunatly is not a warrentied install like I first thought. Opps. A Chevy and GMC dealer generally are not allowed to do 'crossline' warrenty work, only service what you sell. A dealer that sells certified used cars is allowed to warrenty everything he sells except Saturn. i.e. if we sell a Buick but are a Pont GMC dealer, we can warr the Buick. The other circumstance is if you are going there after 2 or 3 failed repair attempts at other dealers, much of which people have done with me.. We have been fortunate so far with GM allowing us to warr chevy's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts