Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had an idea that might be a cheap easy way to get some trans data without having to hookup my Tech 2 or add gauges, etc. By utilizing an OBD2 splitter my Edge Insight CTS could always stay plugged in and then maybe plug in one of the bluetooth devices available to read trans temps on my phone. Also another benefit would be to mount/point the second port towards the passenger side of the van so when I have the Tech 2 plugged in the cable is out of the way.

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just had an idea that might be a cheap easy way to get some trans data without having to hookup my Tech 2 or add gauges, etc. By utilizing an OBD2 splitter my Edge Insight CTS could always stay plugged in and then maybe plug in one of the bluetooth devices available to read trans temps on my phone. Also another benefit would be to mount/point the second port towards the passenger side of the van so when I have the Tech 2 plugged in the cable is out of the way.

Thoughts ?
Or sell it and get the II...

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or sell it and get the II...
I am assuming you are suggesting the Edge Insight CTS2 ? Going that route is gonna cost $400+ and I have to get the temp probe and install it for trans temps. Since my CTS still works I can go the splitter route and should be able to keep costs under $100 with an quick easy install.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am assuming you are suggesting the Edge Insight CTS2 ? Going that route is gonna cost $400+ and I have to get the temp probe and install it for trans temps. Since my CTS still works I can go the splitter route and should be able to keep costs under $100 with an quick easy install.
Yes more costly for sure...

I read trans. temp. on my Edge CTS2 from the OBDII port, no sensor... I have an LMM though...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've wanted to monitor my trans temps as well and have a CTS2 but I can't get it to give me a gauge for it. Any trick for pulling trans temp I'm missing?

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I’ll have to look at what edge unit I have in my 06 but it reads trans temp and I think input and output speed.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've wanted to monitor my trans temps as well and have a CTS2 but I can't get it to give me a gauge for it. Any trick for pulling trans temp I'm missing?
For your application you need to get the temp probe from Edge and install it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I kinda figured that to be the case. I did that to read EGTs. Thank you

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll have to look at what edge unit I have in my 06 but it reads trans temp and I think input and output speed.
That is probably the old original unit they came out with. I have one of those and for the past year or two it has been in my brothers truck.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a splitter that I use when I want to be able to watch my CTS2 and use my Tech2 at the same time...works good.
Thank you Len.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I read trans. temp. on my Edge CTS2 from the OBDII port, no sensor... I have an LMM though...
Is there a GM code for the tranny temp? I'm using Torque and I can't read transmission temp directly. I have a 2010 LMM.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there a GM code for the tranny temp? I'm using Torque and I can't read transmission temp directly. I have a 2010 LMM.
Do you have Torque Pro ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do you have Torque Pro ?
Yes I do. I had tranny temp on my older Chevy with a Scangauge, but I haven't taken the time to figure out how to get Torque Pro to see it.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got a splitter to try out. It is a pass through with pigtail.

Reactions: LCAC_Man

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally tried it out today and the Insight/Tech 2 do not play well together. It would be fine for a minute then the data would go wacky or the Insight would totally drop out.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have read about some truck guys having issues also. I am not sure if it is the splitter or exactly what is going on. I think if I was to have different pids showing on both devices and do not touch anything it would be ok.........I think.

Reactions: LCAC_Man
1 - 20 of 21 Posts