Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric, will a J1850 VPW OBD II diagnostic tool read Duramax codes? If so will it display injector balance rates?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric, rather than me explain it, check out this website. I am interested in this for my wife's '96 Blazer. http://www.scantool.net

·
Registered
263 Posts
Eric,

These OBD II scanners from the link www.scantool.net . I think what is needed to know is what language does the Duramax use? ISO, VPM, or PWM. I am very interested in getting one of these to use my laptop with. I already use my laptop with GPS, in my truck, and just would be nice to add a little more functions to use in-cab. Thanks, Joe

2001 2500HD D/A Edited by: easymon4u

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
There is a forum on the web site and in it I found an Excel spreadsheet and other info. For the protocol I could only find info up to 2002 for Silverado's however I would make a strong assumption their all the same.

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=600 border=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TD bgColor=#cc99ff height=5>Chevrolet</TD>
<TD bgColor=#cc99ff>Silverado</TD>
<TD bgColor=#cc99ff>2002</TD>
<TD bgColor=#cc99ff>VPW</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

I'm still looking for more info on support for our trucks. This software would be great for laptop owners as it would be much cheaper then buying a handheld tuner.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks,

I am going to order the package. I will let you all know how it works when I get it.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Keep us informed! I am very interested as well. I did find a guy with a 2002 Silverado who claimed in worked great on his truck ...but I'm sure it was a gasser. I also sent email asking about the ability to read balance rates ... will post what they say when I hear back.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The shipment is on the way, will let all know how it work in the coming days

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I would like some info on the MasterTech that is supportive of Allison data ..... Suppose to do what a Tech II will .... I've been searching,not in earnest tho,but always looking for a shortcut .....

Mike L made refferance to ,perhaps he will chime in or Eric and of course Sid without a doubt if any of you have some details ....

Mac

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
Mackin

Mastertech is made by Vetronix, same people that make Tech11. It has some of the same functions and capability as Tech11 and all of the functions of Tech 1. It does pretty well with the Allison as far as putting it in fast learn (has most of the trans program of Tech11). It costs 5K and will diagnose all domestic and forein. I dont think you guys need this but i do. I believe the Tech11 is about 3K, but it only handles GM; but it does it better than anything out there. Steve Cole says it does things on the Allison that the Allison diagnostic laptop program doesnt even do.

mike

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did get my interface and have used it with the scantool.net software. It does not show injector balance rates. Just basic stuff, MAF data, Engine RPM, Coolant temp, % of engine load, etc. Allows you to read diagnostic codes and reset the MIL or "Check Engine Light". I do believe someone with some programming knowledge could do some tinkering to get it to read them. I think they have a programmers toolkit available to do specialized things such as this.

There is another free software package at http://www.obd-2.com that I am going to download and try. I got this link from someone over at the Turbo Diesel Register website. obd-2.comEdited by: Pick

·
Registered
87 Posts
Easymon4u,

How well did the Scantool kit work? I'm looking for a diagnostic scanner too.

Pick,

What about the obd-2 kit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts