Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 04.5 max and i am looking to do a full exhaust and want to remove the cat. but i have heard that some guys are throwing codes and limping the motor with no cat because there is not enough back pressure just wondering it anyone has excpercinced anything like this before thanks.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
If you have CA emissions you will set the CEL with an emissions code having to do with the EGR IIRC. It's been a long time since I had it happen. Get a Blocker plate and finger stick form Kennedy. He's a supporting vendor here. I see you have a E/A. You may want to get a boost stick to go along with it. Do the Blocker plate if you decide to get a boost stick or you may get turbo bark. There is no engine limp because of no kitty.

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Try to do a quick search on this subject. I think most people here have removed the cat. Some have thrown codes and some have not. You might get lucky.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I have an 04.5 LLY fed. truck. I'm running without a cat and 4" straight piped(no muffler) egr unplugged and blocked. I have no cel light. I do have soft codes when I check them, but no light. I don't have a FS.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how can you tell if you have a CA emissions truck?

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
The truck will throw codes if you pull the cat. Where problems occur is if it trips the CEL. If no light, no problem. If the light comes on get the latest reflash from GM as this has been taking care of all our customers issues. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My truck is out of warranty now so I don't really want to go to the dealer. My last reflash was in 6/05. It was done in Canada, would this also make a difference? Would this be a late enough date to include the above reflash to eliminate the codes when removing the cat?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.