Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an aftermarket turbo that, in a few spots, doesn't quite seal completely between the turbo base and pedestal. I'm guessing it's because of less-than-stellar machining of the surfaces, or the surfaces bieng dissimilar metals. I've heard of others with this problem on the same turbo, and it sounds like they are either having them remachined or keep replacing gaskets.

Would it be feesable to O-Ring (Fire-Ring) the turbo to the pedestal like the Dodge guys do on their heads?

Would it solve the problem?

Anyone done this?

Anyone know who could do this?

Thanks for your input.

Josh:D

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Any shop that can O ring a head should be able to machine the little grove in anything and lay a peice of wire in it I would think :confused:

What kinda gaskets are being used? Maybe its just that some part isnt machined 100% flat? Do you run the dude and then retorque it after a few heat cycles? Maybe thats whats needed?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think all you need is the proper gasket. Or a better one than you have currently. When you remove the turbo next time, you should check how flat the mating flanges are with a straight edge and feeler gauges. This will give you an idea of what you are dealing with. you can probably make a gasket out of grafoil type material. but it is typically thin which means the flanges should be pretty flat. Other than that, I think you need to follow Ratlovers advice and periodically check/retourque the bolts after initial heating and cooling.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Make sure the proper gasket is being used.

Then loosen the V Bands on the turbine sections and attatch turbo to manifolds first. The loose housings allow you to 'clock' the compressor and exhaust housings without them being under undue stresses. Now that your intake and exh manifolds are attached to the turbo where you want them to be positioned, tighten down the V Bands (or dogbones) on the housings.

In this way the turbocharger will sit flat to the manifolding.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They've been retorqued (with the front pipe loose) a couple time in the last 8 or so thousand miles. The gasket is just a stock Dodge gasket supplied with the kit.
I haven't checked mine, but another person I know with this problem has, and it was definately out of whack. I guess Im just looking for a surefire method of sealing it.

Josh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.