Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible for someone to post some pics of their O/D lockout install? I will be taking my truck in to the dealer in the next week or so for some warranty repair and was thinking of having them put in the GM O/D lockout kit as per the service bullitin. I know this is not a warranty item and am just wanting to see what the actual switch install looks like using the switch referenced in the bullitin.

·
Registered
509 Posts
What is the purpose of the O/D lock out? OK, i know it locks out teh O/D. My question is, why?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to be pulling around 12000lbs along I70 through Colorado on an Elk hunting trip this September ... thought it would be a good way to manage EGT's by not letting the motor lug along ....

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Yeah id like to see those pics too. Hurry up...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here's an out of focus pic of the one installed in my '01 crew cab, but I'm not sure if the other cab configurations have it installed in the same location.

·
Registered
51 Posts
New member, first post! Never tried to include a picture before.
Hmmmm! Not too shiny, but that's my OD lockout install. Red push button switch on the left and red 12 volt LED on the right, both from Radio Shack. 2002 CC SB. About $15 to replace the original cubby hole fitting with the GM panels you see.

I use the OD lockout sometimes to avoid "shift busyness" when towing uphill and conditions are such that the tranny downshifts to 4th, you gain speed, let off the pedal, it upshifts to 5th, slow down, more pedal, downshift, etc!!!

Now let's see if this first post works.

·
Registered
303 Posts
What is the service bolluten number ? Does this let the transmission shift from 1st through 4th gear ? Will GM do the mod for free or is there a cost for this ?

Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mark

I'm sure Hoot and the other pro's will get you a better response, but I'll try.

Complain to the dealer about "shift busyness" and request TSB 02-07-30-020. That got me a free TCM re-program so the tranny could work with the lockout switch and indicator LED. I think that's all the freebie you'll get, the rest is up to you.

Tranny shifts normally, first through fourth. Just won't go into fifth (OD).

Use the following instructions to complete the project. Parts cost at the dealer was about $15 USD.
SOURCE: http://service.gm.com/techlink/html_en/pdf/200207-en.pdf#dst15
<H1 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in">Allison LCT1000 M74AutomaticTransmission 5/4/5 Shift “Busyness”</H1>
<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">CONDITION/CONCERN</H2>
Allison LCT1000 (M74) may experience a condition of shift “busyness” or frequent shifting from 5<SUP>th</SUP> to 4<SUP>th</SUP> to 5<SUP>th</SUP> while towing or under heavy loads.
<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">RECOMMENDATION/</H2>
<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">INSTRUCTIONS</H2>
A new TCM calibration has been released to improve the shift busyness. The TCM calibration is available on TIS 2000 version 3.50 or later (released 3/24/02).
The calibration also contains a feature which allows 5<SUP>th</SUP> gear to be disabled/ inhibited if desired.To make this feature operable, the following items must be obtained and steps performed:
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">FOR VEHICLES WITHOUT AIRBAG DISABLE SWITCH[/B]
<H3 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">Parts needed</H3>
Momentary push button switch (normally open), qty 1 – obtain locally
LED and 10k resistor wired in series, (if an indicator is desired), qty 1 – obtain locally
Accessory switch opening cover, P/N 15734687, qty 2
Accessory switch housing, P/N 15040483, qty 1
18 gauge wire (bulk) – obtain locally
<P cla

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
There is an OD lockout from 03 on, right? Here is a picture of the shifter with the button that does two different things from an 03 on ebay.

P.C.-You should already have OD lockout-it's the same button as the tow/haul-just press it in a little harder and you should see a light on your dash that lights up with a circle around a D and a line crossed through it. Look at the shifter on this pic.

Edited by: Mr. Mister

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not all 03s lock out button works. My question is can you just have your computer programed for it.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Mr. Mister. It has nothing to do with pressing the button harder. You have to press it LONGER to turn on the OD lockout.

cwolfe, I doubt there many that don't work. Rather just many operators who don't know HOW they work. Most are really confused by a button having more then 1 function.

RTFM!Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
134 Posts
Max Power said:
Mr. Mister. It has nothing to do with pressing the button harder. You have to press it LONGER to turn on the OD lockout.

cwolfe, I doubt there many that don't work. Rather just many operators who don't know HOW they work. Most are really confused by a button having more then 1 function.

RTFM!

Actually on mine you press it in a little harder, it's like a 2 stage switch

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Did they change that in the LLY? Can you post what it says in the owners manual about that?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Actually mine works fine but my neighbors does not work. So its not a matter of me not knowing how to use it. It is a matter of it not working.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes both are 03 one Chevy one GMC.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
So why wouldn't he take it to the dealer to get it fixed?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Max Power said:
Did they change that in the LLY? Can you post what it says in the owners manual about that?

It's not the switch it's me, I'm retarted!!!! I went and played with the switch last night and I don't know how in the world I thought it was a 2 stage switch.

cwolfe-Is it the Chevy's that doesn't work? Maybe for some weird reason they didn't start it in the Chevy's until later? Edited by: Mr. Mister

1 - 20 of 22 Posts