Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whatever they were selling at the dealership was $40 a quart.... so I bought this stuff instead. Yay or nay?

Attachments

· Registered
4,430 Posts
Wrong stuff. Don't use it in a NV4500. The right stuff is VERY spendy ,as you said. It won't shift right and certain parts will wear out if you use gear oil.

Reactions: chukarhunt

· Whistle Pigs Are Cool
2,459 Posts
Check out Redline and Royal Purple and see if they make a compatible oil.

· Registered
5,114 Posts
Nay. Get the real thing from the dealer. Regular gear oil even syn, will destroy your carbon fiber syncros. Sorry but you will have to bend over and let Riverton have their way with you. But at least they will smile.

Reactions: chukarhunt

· Registered
6,452 Posts
There is OEM style oil sold on Ebay for cheaper. They buy it by the drum and repackage it.

Check on the Facebook 6.5 diesel page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/177115103783/

The correct oil And / or the link has been posted there more than once

The correct oil is Castrol Syntorq LT

I could not find the link when I searched.

· Whistle Pigs Are Cool
2,459 Posts

· Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,511 Posts
I can be wrong but I think you need the Manual Transmission Gear Oil.

What you bought is the Differential Gear Oil, look at the Limited Slip in the logo.

Note all the link from Grabowski point to "Manual Transmission Fluid" as supposed to "Differential".

The Differential gear oil is usually more slippery than the Manual Trans Gear oil.

You can check BobIsTheOilGuy aka Bitog.com.

· Registered
6,452 Posts

I am running the Amsoil in mine. Another guy that has several NV4500's and runs a lot more miles than I do, said he did not get the same shifting performance out of the Amsoil as he does the Castrol Syntorq LT

· Registered
28 Posts
I am running the Amsoil in mine. Another guy that has several NV4500's and runs a lot more miles than I do, said he did not get the same shifting performance out of the Amsoil as he does the Castrol Syntorq LT
I'm generally not a fan of overpriced OEM fluids.
As expensive and difficult to find as these transmissions are I would run Syntorque LT or the GM 12346190 or Mopar 4874459.
12346190 is $21.00 on Amazon with Prime.

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

· Registered
339 Posts
I just put Amsoil in mine and I can say that it probably shifts worse cold. However, I think this is because the oil is to slippery (a good thing for longevity). I think my trans has other problems however. It was supposed to be a rebuild but I have doubts about the quality.

jrsavoie - Care to comment on your experiences with the Amsoil?

· Registered
5,114 Posts
I am pretty sure Castrol Syntorque LT is out of production. It is next to impossible to get around here. If you want NV4500 GL-4 fluid today. You are stuck going to the Dodge dealer or GM
Elko motor company used to sell it cheaper than the GM dealer. But don't know if they still do.
Only other option is go online and buy the Red line MT 85-75 GL4 .it is designed for the NV4500. Not sure about amsoil or the others.
As said above Amazon has the OEM AC delco or Mopar fluid for $20-25 a quart.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, didn't realize this would peak this much interest! haha. Glad I didn't put it in then, thanks for all your input and links. I just can't believe how expensive it is. I did not know it was on Amazon though! I found it on GMpartsdirect.com, but they want $65 to ship, just as bad as the dealer! I will take a look at Amazon and go from there.

Tommygunner, it won't be the first time a dealer wanted to bend me over. I don't think I am a favored customer at gallagher's anymore, at least they aren't smiling when I walk through the door lol. I am just saying that a new car with 50,000 miles shouldn't be having computer glitches and brain freezes and weird 2nd to 3rd shifts... but I guess that's what I get for thinking I could buy reliability.

JMJNet, This was the only 75W-90 oil I could find anywhere. While I agree this looks much like differential oil, there was nothing else on any shelf around town. Except Oreilly's, they may have had royal purple.

I guess this is one of those preventative maintenance things I am just going to have to suck up and buy. Do it once and I won't have to think about it for awhile.

· Registered
5,114 Posts
LOL I have exchanged a few words with Riverton over the last GM car I bought there. Went Toyota after that and never looked back.
I have a some of that same Valvoline. I use it in the gear case and diffs in my SXS. Good stuff but not for NV4500. If you read the back is says GL4 and GL5 for diffs.
But only GL5 for manual trans. NV4500 is GL4. I just wanted to save you from making a costly mistake.
I just looked on AMAZON if you type in Castrol Syntorque. Both the oem GM and Mopar fluids come up. Mopar is exactly the same as GM.
Orielys here carries Red line fluids but I doubt that they have the MT-85 75W85 GL-4 Gear Oil you need in stock. Don't use any other redline oil. Only the one grabowski listed in his earlier post.
Here is a handy link to info and specs on the NV4500.
NV4500FAQ :)mods. link is for info only:)
Hope this helps.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love my toyota. Now that the burb is back on the road, I can give it the TLC it desparately needs.

I ordered the right oil from Amazon, and put it in the trans. All new fluids in the truck now, should be good to go for quite awhile! I appreciate all the feedback!

Reactions: jrsavoie

· Registered
5,114 Posts
Cool. I have been following your build. Glad you got your Sub on the road. Hope to see your Sub on the streets. Kinda lonely being the only 6.5 around these parts. The city has a couple of flatbed 1 ton dumps. But that is pretty much all I see. Unless out of state plates.

· Registered
6,452 Posts
I love my toyota. Now that the burb is back on the road, I can give it the TLC it desparately needs.

I ordered the right oil from Amazon, and put it in the trans. All new fluids in the truck now, should be good to go for quite awhile! I appreciate all the feedback!
Do you have a link for that?

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
which link jrsavoie?

· Registered
6,452 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Get the right oil, it's worth it. Especially for how often you have to change it. I would also suggest overfilling it a little bit because of the angle the transmission sits at.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

This is the exact oil I purchased and put in the truck jrsavoie.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.