Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So driving the new rig home the trans would grind in 1st and 2nd gear below 1500 rpm. As soon as it hit 1500 the grinding would stop. It didn't pop out of gear, lose power or have any trouble shifting. The grinding sounded exactly like your trying to shift into gear without engaging the clutch. From reading some have said it might be chain slop in the TC. If anyone has some insight that would be great! Thanks
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I didn't see a nv4500 section in the trans forum. And thought this would get the most eyes on it!

·
Administrator
17,205 Posts
So driving the new rig home the trans would grind in 1st and 2nd gear below 1500 rpm. As soon as it hit 1500 the grinding would stop. It didn't pop out of gear, lose power or have any trouble shifting. The grinding sounded exactly like your trying to shift into gear without engaging the clutch. From reading some have said it might be chain slop in the TC. If anyone has some insight that would be great! Thanks
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I didn't see a nv4500 section in the trans forum. And thought this would get the most eyes on it!
Grinding while shifting is usually worn/damaged synchro components

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the response OK!
I was thinking that but it doesn't actually grind while shifting into first or 2nd, It goes in very smooth. It also bothers me that it goes away at the same rpm regardless of speed. When I get home again I'll check the TC chain and fluid. Then I'll start looking at the synchros and a rebuild!

·
Administrator
17,205 Posts
Appreciate the response OK!
I was thinking that but it doesn't actually grind while shifting into first or 2nd, It goes in very smooth. It also bothers me that it goes away at the same rpm regardless of speed. When I get home again I'll check the TC chain and fluid. Then I'll start looking at the synchros and a rebuild!
Noise while in gear, under load is something else, like damaged bearings or gears themselves.
It could be chain slop within the TC

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chain slop is what I'm hoping for! But if needed it'll get a remand unit! Plan on making this my daily! When I get home I'll update the thread.

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 5 of 5 Posts