Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen the towing capacites for the 04 1 tons?

GM 12,000

Dodge 13,000

Ford 14,200

I can't remember the torq and hp numbers exactly though. Dang old age. But I do know the 6.0L does have the highest outputs @ 325hp and 560 tq. Isuzu was 310hp and 520tq. The Hp might not be correct. The dodge 305hp and 555tq.

The rpm ratings for these numbers are pretty equal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
U Who Isuzu boys?!?!?!?!?!? No comments? The 3500 Isuzu's are even dually's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Depends on the set-up.I think you can get a Dodge or G.M. to 16,000+ lbs. with the proper configuration.The new D-max will be 310h.p./590ft.lbs. and the new "600" Cummins will be 325/600.Ain't competition cool
...Doug

·
Registered
38 Posts
how is fords tranny? can it handle all that torque.. my 92 7.3 f-250 is on its forth transmission needs #5 E4OD is a nasty word.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tranny was tested against the allison that is currently in the Isuzu's and it passed everything and was given the same ratings as the Isuzu's. It is a new transmission and I love it. Hit the tow/haul button with synco brakes on your trailer and the tranny does almost all the work slowing you down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No such thing as a 3500 Isuzu, as they don't make full size pickups and they are available with SRW. Engine is made by Dmax Ltd a GM company. So how come you don't call the Ford an International? Grade braking was available first on the Allison.

·
Registered
909 Posts
BirdofPrey97 said:
I can't remember the torq and hp numbers exactly though. Dang old age. But I do know the 6.0L does have the highest outputs @ 325hp and 560 tq. Isuzu was 310hp and 520tq. The Hp might not be correct. The dodge 305hp and 555tq.

IIRC the RPM ratings are substantially different. Isn't the 6.0L a relatively high reving engine compared to the others?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Max Torq on the Ford is at 2500 RPM and 3300rpm on Hp if I remember correctly.

I have no problem calling the Ford an International even and International Harvester doesn't bother me a bit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ray403Dmax said:
BirdofPrey97 said:

IIRC the RPM ratings are substantially different. Isn't the 6.0L a relatively high reving engine compared to the others?

Remember, Peak power/torque figured mean almost NOTHING for towing. What you really should compare is AVERAGE POWER across the engine's operating range. Area under the curve is more important than the spike in power at one certain RPM. The old powerstrokes were bad like this - I understand the new ones make a much more broad power curve.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
BirdofPrey97 said:
Max Torq on the Ford is at 2500 RPM and 3300rpm on Hp if I remember correctly.

I have no problem calling the Ford an International even and International Harvester doesn't bother me a bit.

Seeing that Ford recalled over 66k 2003 6.0s, then made over 30 changes to the 2004s (turbo, injectors, water pump, oil system, ICP, etc, etc.) in an attempt to fix the 6.0 problems only to have to recall over 11k 2004 6.0s already for bad crank journals, I wouldn't be calling it anything but .... I like IH Binders as much as the next guy but the 6.0 is a dud.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For as big of a piece the 6.0L is it didnt have any trouble starting at 25 below not plugged in. Cant say that for the 03 Dmax that wouldnt start and that was plugged in. We both fuel up at the same place also, so I know it wasn't the fuel.

Those 04's that were recalled were 03 production parts from the same lot the 03's that were recalled came from.

As I stated previously the Ford is a good truck and the Isuzu is a good truck, but I prefer the International Harvester.

The new numbers for the Isuzu came after they installed the turbo from the same company that makes the turbo for IH.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Same turbo company, better version of the VVT. Duramax LTD in the USA builds the Duramax. Maybe the 6.0s would work if Isuzu designed them too. The 04 recall had nothing to do with the 03 recalls and in fact happened months later and for a different problem. Many Duramax owners here live in Alaska have no problems starting there trucks. Kind of a stretch saying one wouldn't start even though it was plugged in. Don't ya think?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just stating that it wouldnt start.

The problems were the same for the 03 and 04 because the same cast parts were used in both. They came from the same set of casts and order numbers.

Of course the turbo is better it's a later model. Anytime you want to having a towing contest just look me up. If you want my home address send me a private message and we can do some comparisons.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Why "of course the turbo is better.." the 04 PSD got a new turbo too. As far as having a towing contest unless your truck dyno's over 400rwhp and over 900lb-ft it's not even in the same league. I know the Ford's frame and rear axle aren't. And yeah, I'm gonna drive all the way to MN to smoke a Ford when I can smoke as many as I want here.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Looks like Bird man picked on and opened his mouth towards a truck he knows nothing about. He He He I think he been watchin to many phony Ferd commercials.

Geno

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Sorry Mac, I guess I shouldn't since they're such an easy target. There are plenty of great running 7.3s around (including our 97, thanks Jannetty) but finding a 6.0 that actually runs to beat up on can be a challenge.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The 12,000 lbs stated for the GM tow capacity is for a tongue pull trailer and is limited because of hitch capacity. 5th wheel towing is 15,000 for CC; 15,200 for ext cab and 15,600 for regular cab. A 2500HD ranges from 15,200 to 15,800 depending on cab. These are auto trans numbers for a 2001 which I doubt have changed yet.

It appears that GM has higher tow ratings.

TomEdited by: Tom Cobb

·
Registered
15 Posts
International Harvester, Now there's the company that bought us the forever Breaking T/A in every tractor they produced. They did have a good combine design though. A friend of mine taped a jar onto the side of his tractor and said he drops a fifty dollar bill into the jar everytime he pulls the lever. And when he runs out of money he unbolts the lever. So in other words IH does not say reliable to me. O ya IH went broke in the 1980's somehow the truck divison carried on. I wish ford would have used a DEERE or CAT engine, now that would have really been something!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tom, the numbers stated above are for all tongue weights.

Pinky, my 1066 Turbo still runs like a top and hasn't been rebuilt since 1980. It has over 100,000 hours on it. My 4020 JD has about the same. Both are good tractors.

The JD and the Genusis Tractors had a 460 diesel in them. It was actually a 460 punched to a 466 cu in in the mid 90's.

Just hauled from MN to CO, then to NM and over to TX and back up to MN again and had no problems whatsoever. 75 to 85mph the entire way and was hauling 24k.

For the person that made the comment on the frames. GM was actually rated the lowest between Dodge, Ford and GM for the 2500 to 3500 trucks.

The company that did the testing was MTS they created the wonderful suspension machines you see advertised in commercials for different vehicles.

They test equipment to it's failure point and provide the results to the companies that request the results.

I do not have the actual numbers due to the fact I am not going to pay for the numbers, but I do know the rankings thanks to my father in law who works for the company and it went from lowest to highest GM, Dodge, Ford. If we can get $5k gathered for each vehicle (2500 is considered 1 vehicle and 3500 another) together on the site I can get all the numbers from the engines, trannys, axles, and frames, suspension for all the vehicles.

My gooseneck is capable of 30k and I have pulled up to 28k with it and the frame is not twisted. My boss's 04 D'max 2500 did twist the frame hauling the same load. The GM dealer in Greeley, CO spent 2 months getting it fixed.

Now when you are done calling names and willing to do some actual work with your truck come look me up. I use this truck on a daily basis. Had it for less then 2 months and it has 12k on it without a problem. Talk on GM boys talk on.....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts