Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well truck has been running a little rough for a few weeks now. Did a balance check on my injectors with my Predator. Well at 25,000 miles I've got 3 bad injectors. Number 4 is the worst reading close to 8 at idle in drive and park. Two others are residing around the 5 mark.

Anyhow my appointment is on Monday. I'm not sure of the skills of my local diesel tech, but than again maybe Eric will chime in offering his services.

I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
V R

how long you been runnin' the CAT secondary ? guess when they go, they just go.........

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had in on since around 8k. It'd been moved once, but other than that no issues.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Darn Rick sorry to hear this. Maybe you should send you injectors to Kennedy and juice them up a little. i don't know if they are completely rebuilt or what.

Hows everything else since the last time we spoke??

Jason

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jason,

New injectors from the dealer are free, juiced ones, well probably not. It's funny though two months ago I was kicking your butt around on Kennedy's dyno
, now I need injectors, go figure.

As for me, just been real busy. I also have been avoiding the computer except for business purposes. I quit smoking around 2 months ago as well and trying to keep myself active.

Anyhow we'll have to get together one of these days for a cookout, maybe I'll even have to host a small SE WI GTG just to sit around and shoot the bull.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Do you regularly use an additive? If so, which one? 25,000 is really low miles. I wonder if it was defective from the start, and just now showing the signs.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've used FPPF and Schaeffer's religiously.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bummer Rick,

Hey, don't let them swap out your VRStraps for those whimpy stainless steel cables they are using for the recall.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I stated before, I'm not overly concerned nor am I upset at this time except for the fact of not knowing the skills of my local mechanics. The last few new vehicles I've owned have been traded in at 60k or less so I never had any real issues to get to know them with.

As for my straps, I'm keeping them but I will likely take the freebie from GM when available. Should be good for hanging my address on the side of my house

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
It`s not like you can`t find Grand Rapids

It`s that damn Juice I tell ys!
It is really the way you run it when John Kennedy installed the hot stuff last fall. Remember what the limp is?

Good luck in getting this taken care of! And thanks again for a steller product. They are holding up great.

If it is at all possible to make another trip to Grand Rapids, I`d say you will have much better service
That is what I plan on doing if ever in need of repair.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Victory Red said:
As for me, just been real busy. I also have been avoiding the computer except for business purposes. I quit smoking around 2 months ago as well and trying to keep myself active.

Anyhow we'll have to get together one of these days for a cookout, maybe I'll even have to host a small SE WI GTG just to sit around and shoot the bull.

Rick, sorry to hear this! I assume you will get all 8 replaced?

Congrats and good luck on the quitting smoking. It will be the best thing in the long run for you and your family!

Keep in touch and good luck with everything!
SPICER

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike,

I'd love for Dmaxallitech to do the repair and yes it would be worth the drive, but I think I remember him stating once that he was no longer allowed to do warranty repairs on Chevy's which is what I have(if I'm incorrect hopefully he'll chime in).

As for juicing, I own a pred, but never run tunes in it. I'm one of those guys who likes the power, but not for my daily driving, too much boost with this tuner.

Arlen,

I won't know much until next week when I have my appointment. The weirdest deal was they were in good shape and QUICKLY went south.

What's even funnier is that I checked them again this morning and my cold engine numbers are better than my warm engine numbers. Maybe it's not really the actual injector but some type of seal(s) has failed causing the rates to get nasty under heat and expansion???

As for the quitting smoking, been a little over 7 weeks since I lit one. Decided that why die early and make my wife rich?
Edited by: Victory Red

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Victory Red said:
I've used FPPF and Schaeffer's religiously.

Guess I`ve been right all along!
I have never used nor will I ever use fuel additives. I believe that they are more hype then help! And for the price it had better increase fuel mileage. Most of them add 10-30 cents pre gallon. (As if fuel wasn`t already high!
)

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Victory Red said:
Mike,

I'd love for Dmaxallitech to do the repair and yes it would be worth the drive, but I think I remember him stating once that he was no longer allowed to do warranty repairs on Chevy's which is what I have(if I'm incorrect hopefully he'll chime in).

As for juicing, I own a pred, but never run tunes in it. I'm one of those guys who likes the power, but not for my daily driving, too much boost with this tuner.

I was thinking it was your truck that JK put the hot Juice on, and moments later recieved a call about limping your tranny. I guess I am older then I thought

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Sorry didnt see this one soon Rick, been busy at the hospital last couple of days. See if your truck will make it a few more weeks.. I see some very optimistic news on the horizon regarding me and Chevy's.....and still GMC's...

Cant dispell much more then that at this time.....but if she will last a bit longer..... you might be in luck

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Rick,

Did you do the check with your predator because you were having drivability issues or just out of curiosity and by chance find the injector problems?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Guess I must've jinxed it by looking at them when you were here. Kinda figured things may get to this point based on the readings.

If you can't get it done right, Orfordville WI is where I'd send you.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
srode,

I actually checked them on a semi regular basis(mainly during PM time reason I bought the Predator is the diagnostics). However a few months ago when Forced Induction and I went to play on Kennedys dyno he saw an injector that was on the high side but dropped to a decent level after full warm up.

A few weeks ago I began to notice when I'd come to a stop my idle would be rough almost like a misfire but smooth out within 10-15 seconds. Some days it would be bad, other days not even noticeable. I don't see anymore smoke than usual, but I seldom hammered around town anyhow.

The weirdest thing is that I just changed the OEM filter(had the faint hope maybe it would help). When I cut the filter open, which had around 11,000 on it it was around 1/8' used and showed no signs of the banding that seems to be commonplace. I also noticed a little 'pool' of fuel inside the cap at my Schrader valve and that when pressurized will bubble at me.

I also recently developed the steering column thump but unlike my last truck this one only does it when I'm turning.

Needless to say I'm no mechanic. Sure I'd love to wait on Eric to do them but I'd really not rather take the chance of being hit with a breakdown at a most inopportune time. Plus I have plans to hit Custer SD and points west in July with my daughter. I promised her a camping/fishing trip(since her younger sister and mother won't do the camping thing). So the sooner I can get this repaired the sooner I see whether or not my local guy is skilled or not and not risk being 1000 miles away and stranded in nowhere.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
You have the secondary fillter on you truck and still had injectors go bad. So I guess there nothing to all they hype about getting a 2nd filter.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Secondary filtration and an emulsifier. I just hit 25,000 using the same combo since about 15,000. I'm getting the feeling from these reports that this truck is a ticking injector time bomb!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts