Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay fellas, I thought I had it all figured out...I was going to buy a 3500 to start my business with. It was a simple plan. I'm going to be hauling cars, trailers, anything vehicular to auctions dealers etc. At first I thought all you needed was a truck a trailer and your on your way. Then I find out you need commercial insurance. No problem. Then when I'm shopping my for my 3 car trailer no one will sell me one saying I need a 3500 instead of my 2500 okay still no problem. So know I'm at the chevy looking at the dually's and the sales manager starts telling me how he needs to get his 4500's on the lot outta there to make way for newer ones and offers me for roughly 10k more than a dually (this is the air cab monroe mackdaddy 4500 mind you)! I'm think eh I need the extra towing capacity anyway since the dually can only tow a 3 car trailer legally. Now these are my feelings on things before I get into the confusing part.

1. I love the lbz and really would like the dually as an everyday vehicle

2. I would sacrafice my lbz speed and quietness if the 4500 is the way to go for hauling 4-5 cars.

3. The kodiak is great looking but don't like that it's behind the light dutys in power.

4. The Kodiak is much more stable with better braking than the 3500 with max load

Now having said that I thought well it's pretty obvious I need the kodiak then I go on this site and read how there are 3500's towing 25k plus legally and without problems and I may need a cdl to haul cars (I thought comm. insurance was the only thing) . I also read about how 3500s can legally tow this when going over the scales as long as the axle weight is legal and they really dont care about exceeding the gcwr. Is this true? I'm a 21 year old that pulls little trailers now for a moving company and am kind of nieve with the big boy hauling but am trying to start a car hauling business and need to know if I don't have to separate with 10k more on a 4500 to meet my towing needs I'd rather not and use the money to keep my wife in school. I really need a little straight forward advice on what I should do, not do, and such. I've basically broke down my pondering in two sections

1. For hauling 4-5 cars would a 3500 work with maybe some minor brake and suspension mods and if so what mods and how do you load cars on trailer to keep your axle rating legal for dot. (going of info that they don't care if your over gcwr as long as axle wieght is not exceeded)

2. What do I really need to start a little car hauling business with dot special licenses etc. I'm a 21 year old that wants to drive the open road but want to be my own boss.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
what do you mean behind the light duties in power?? You mean cause they dont put the LBZ in it. A chip will quickly fix that as there is more chips out for the LB7 and LLY

·
Registered
498 Posts
Power is a relative term. Pulling 100 year-old stumps with a 28 HP John Deer tractor is Power; 0-60 in 8.9 sec. in a 604 HP Vette is also power. Reverse the roles and they both fall short on "POWER" to do the task.

Pulling heavy trailers with an MDT is no more difficult than a 3500 dually. Controlling and stopping heavy trailer is a different story.

I routinely tow 30K+ lbs Gross with an 03 C5500 LRM (LB7) and feel quite safe and comfortable. I just have to foregoe the "Bling-Bling" available on the light trucks to do it with. Anyhow, if you can work a deal with the (d)stealer, you may be able to get the C4500 for less than the 3500 dually. My Monroe Versahauler Towbody C5500 cost less than the LT version of the C3500 Dually at the time I bought it (ordered it, actually).

RF

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah see more stuff I didn't know. I'm new to the big boy toy world of 4500's and beyond

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flyer that's great stuff that's a great way to put it. My bling bling on my current truck as well as my past lb7 will be fond memories because my business truck is just that strictly business and things to keep it strong and reliable. I'm also well aware of the braking needs more than the power needs when towing heavy trailers.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hoping for some more answers but thanks for all that did!

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
If your just going to haul a 3 or 5 car trailer why even use a hauler bed? There are about 5 big auction places in my neck of the world and most haulers are just using a 5th wheel hitch on the bare frame and run a fender over the wheels and thats it. Looks are not as good as a hauler bed but making money just the same.
I would go with a 4500 or 5500 over the 3500 for a dedicated hauler. It will handle the weight much better than a 3500 would and should last longer. I know there are a few guys on this board with them and had more than their share of problems with them so weight their opinion as well before you buy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well guys in case anyone interested getting a good deal on 2005 4500 monroe conversion. It really is the best truck for the job and will allow me to grow without having to move up in trucks every so often.

P.s. what would be the maximum weight the 4500 could handle.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a 4500 with a 12' service body I cross the scales at 14,580 runs day in and day out and yeah I have had problems with it wheel seal, pinion seals etc. But I dont car what brand of truck u buy you are going to have problems with it case closed. I Pull a 21' flat bed with a case 450 load and a bobcat that is 19500 # and I have no problems with it pulling the load.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
T-300, cxt's, f-650's, frieghtliner m2's, all great trucks if you feel like shelling out 80k-130k. I'm just starting a business at 21 where I can't quite afford these toys yet. 50-60k is my max. I think I'm doing pretty good having already owned 3 duramax's including this lbz

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
by the way would anyone preferably a florida resident (or someone who'd know) what endorsment's I'd need to get on my cdl in order to pull a 4-5 car 5'er with a 4500. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts