Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
traded a 2002 6 litre hd for the duramax about 4 months ago. finnally pulled the fifth wheel to the coast thursday, wowwwww
. trailer is 28 ft maybee 9000 lb loaded. last truck really strained over the hills, this truck is a ****ing pulling machine
. i absolutaley in love with this allison words cannot describe it. had attitude set level 2 locked out 5th on steep grades egt got to 1200 doig 62 engine temp 210 passing stinking japenneese **it car. oh yeah round trip 300 miles think i got 13 mpg.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah - nice trip. I love towing with my d-max. Feels completely effortless.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Remember, Peekok. You can never have too much trailer!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah thats the problem i always buy to small. might be time to trade it in. those tripple slides are nice

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
QUADRUPLE!

·
Registered
403 Posts
For just me and my lady friend, my 25' Ameri Lite is fine on room and about all I can park at my home without some serious tree cutting, etc. When I bought the TT I had a much less poweful truck and the light weight of the Ameri Lite (about 5k mt) was a necessity. I have since had a problem with the trailer floor developing a soft spot in the bathroom (rear). When I looked into it I found the back of trailer in really bad shape and found that the water got to floor because the trailer was built with no sealant on screws that are exposed to the elements, an obvious manufacturing defect that Gulfstream refused to do any thing about to help me because I was the 2nd owner and the TT was 2.5 yrs old!!!!!!!

With an estimate of $2k from an RV shop, my decision was to DIY! Back in good shape now, but I now know that the light weight comes from flimsy construction from way too small structural pieces, etc. This thing will never last too long!

Couple or three trips with the DMax have shown me thatI can pull a heavier built trailer with no problem, and I'm sort of looking around with the thought of buying a heavier built TT of about same size, but you can bet your boots it won't be from Gulfstream!!!!!!!!!

Anybody got a link to a good RV forum where I can do a little research on a better built TT?

·
Registered
646 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Checkout www.hilotrailer.com I have my third one now. This one is a 31 ft. Hi-Lo Classic. When pulling, it is only as tall as the 2500HD D/A except for the A/C unit on the roof. No wind drag when pulling so the truck don't even know it's back there. Also has good quality construction in the Classic models. Their Hi-Lo Tow-Lite is of lesser quality and about 3 inches less headroom, but still not a bad unit. All loaded with food, clothes, etc. mine weights around 6700 lbs going down the road. My D/A and Hi-Lo unbeatable combination

1 - 9 of 9 Posts