Diesel Place banner

Now Here Is A BIG Diesel

2K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  SmoothAT 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Thanks so much for sharing these pics and the info. That is absolutely incredible to be able to build such a marvelous piece of machinery. Wouldn't it be a wonderful experience to be able to observe such an engine in operation. I wonder; is such a large engine a direct drive from the crank shaft to the propeller or does it have a drive shaft that goes into some sort of transmission or gear ratio reduction mechanism to control propeller speed and direction? I wish I was smart enough to be able to design and build such marvelous engine designs. Think of the tolerance's and how close they must be to avoid "piston slop" in such a large cylinder. Incredible. I bet the fuel is darn near straight crude oil. Imagine the compression ratio to get such crude oil to combust. Thanks again.

Truck on!!!:cool:

#5 ·
Probably not until about six months after the very last person obsessed with diesels signs up on the forum.:D :lol: :joke:

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
I'm currently installing one into my lawnmower. Next year, I'm thinking about working up a way to swap it between the lawnmower and snowblower. If my calculations are correct, in the snowblower, winds from the North/Northeast, I should be able to hit Pennsylvania pretty easily. :D

#11 ·
I'm currently installing one into my lawnmower. Next year, I'm thinking about working up a way to swap it between the lawnmower and snowblower. If my calculations are correct, in the snowblower, winds from the North/Northeast, I should be able to hit Pennsylvania pretty easily. :D
LeroyR- That's funny! :lol:

#13 ·
Old Soldier

Don't listen to them. I'm new - both to the world of diesels and to this site, and I hadn't seen the pictures before.

Very impressive!!

I wonder if they've tried one with nitrous? :confused:

#15 ·
There is a rumor that if the mechanic rev's the engine in neutral, the earths rotation slows down. :lol:
(a rumor I started...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.