Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the truck in for a recall (seatbelt thing) and I also had the injector harness #2 & #7 replaced (TSB) also performed under warranty. Now the interesting part. At the bottom of the invoice there is a note (And I Quote):

VEHICLE HAS SOME AFTER MARKET
WIRES RUNNING IN THE ENG FROM
WHAT LOOKSLIKE A CHIP AND ALSO
A C B RADIO. THIS COULD CAUSE
PROBLEMS FOR THE WAR RANTIES
DOWN THE ROAD IF ANYTHING
MAULFUNCTIONS IN THE
INJECTORES. OR ANY OTHER PART
OF THE WARRANTIES ON THE VEHI

Isn't this interesting. No one asked me about it, just put it on the invoice. There is a scanner in the truck, I suppose it looks like a CB. Wonder how it would affect the warranty? Also there is a pyrometer with wiring, but hadn't installed the guages yet. They are installed now.

I think I need to go back and ask that this statement be removed. Does this stay with the truck for life now? Is it too late?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
594 Posts
Bill 3
I am about to take mine in for the steering shaft replacement but your experience brought another thing to my mind. Did you have problems with injector #2 and #7? I ask because I am wondering if I should request that they also be replaced even though I have had no issues yet.
I will also look at the invoice, because I also have CB, pyrometer, egt gauges and there is alot of wiring going through my firewall.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i would go back to the dealership and explain to them what the pyro is, and the scanner.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doug;1588217; said:
Bill 3
I am about to take mine in for the steering shaft replacement but your experience brought another thing to my mind. Did you have problems with injector #2 and #7? I ask because I am wondering if I should request that they also be replaced even though I have had no issues yet.
I will also look at the invoice, because I also have CB, pyrometer, egt gauges and there is alot of wiring going through my firewall.
I had the injector harness issue and thanks to sideswiper I was able to cure the problem until I could get it in for the repair. I honestly doubt the repair will last forever, but now I know how to fix it next time. I have 61000 miles on it. I beleive you can simulate the problem to get the code if you choose. I did not have the gauges in at that time, so I guess they assumed the pyrometer wire went to a "chip".

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
The computer systems have a note feature at dealers. I know we did at ours. We could put notes on the service history that our customers never see (not printed or on screen..)
We had quite a few that we would review the notes would say stuff like '*******' or 'lawsuit waiting to happen, careful' was the more common one...LOL
Although ******* was to be removed everytime i saw it, i didnt mind jerk, abusive to staff, or lawsuit... LOL

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
So they can take it off the invoice printing but, it wont come off their notes sections.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, it won't come off their notes, but does every dealer see those notes? I assume they are all connected through GM. I just HATE assumptions about me that are out of my control.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
No the Nissan dealer I worked for couldnt read other's notes from any other nissan dealer. The notes on our system keep to OUR system.
The worst thing they could do is call coorporate and notify them of it. The problem with that is, they have no claim to notify GM of, 2 it's alot of work, and holding time...

·
Registered
79 Posts
befor i take mine in i take all aftermarket stuff off,its call cya!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No offense mike, but what do you do about the pyro? Put a pipe plug in the hole in the exhaust manifold and hope they don't see it? I doubt you change the whole manifold.

I am also trying to figure out where a "C B Radio" has anything to do with the injector warranty.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I know that I would be in there telling them what the wires really run to, and that they should not make assumptions out of ignorance. Show them the guages and trace the wires to the source for them if they are really that stupid. It's your warranty...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Bill 3;1588393; said:
No offense mike, but what do you do about the pyro? Put a pipe plug in the hole in the exhaust manifold and hope they don't see it? I doubt you change the whole manifold.

I am also trying to figure out where a "C B Radio" has anything to do with the injector warranty.
If they ask me about pyrometer I will tell them that I need a pyro especially while towing in the hills because I do not want to destroy the turbocharger by getting it too hot: my reasoning is a personal safety measure.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Bill 3;1588393; said:

Its not the CB it's probably the 1500 Watt Linear amplifier they're worried about... LOL.
I mean in all honesty, (not trying to offend any service writers out there) I never had ONE work for me that actually knew something about vehicles. They knew the common problems of the vehicles we serviced but, alot of times they had problems even explaining the diagnosis or the procedure to fix it without a technician there. Technicians are generally flat rate and just trying to put food on the table, taking time out to walk you through something that is someone else's job really pisses 'em off (I dont blame 'em it's not fair).
More than likely the tech came in, mentioned something about wires going everywhere, the service guy just wrote what he though... It happens alot! I used to have to walk LIVID customers through procedures all the time; I'd go get THEIR truck, show 'em exactly what we did but my guys couldnt do it.
I might go my next oil change and bring my old invoice, tell 'em we got somewhat of an issue that I'd like to clear up for them. Then walk 'em through it...
Then again, as bad as it sounds - if you just took in for a oil change or something minor; most of those guys are new, younger and think they know it all. So if he saw wiring he could have come up w/ all kinds of ****.. LOL. And you bet he wants to play the hero - he's the new guy wanting to go somewhere; so he'll be the first to tell you the findings so he feels valueable. That's not ALL lube tech's but, EVERYONE I interviewed or worked with had that attitude (I got something to prove, rather than I'm here to be a sponge and learn from the guys in the shop). As much as i hated it, i needed bodies...

If it was me, or one of my shop's; I'd be a bit upset of one of my guys/girls putting that on an invoice or note without asking YOU what it does or is, and THEN you put it on there. We had TONS of people with altimas and SER sentra's come in for warranty stuff; If they blew the tranny and didnt have bald tires or a complaint of a slipping burnt clutch i wouldnt care that it had a cold air intake on it. Everyone's different, and as I've seen on the board is a sliding scale of service experiences. From 'I"d invite 'em to dinner' to ' I'm burning the place down tomorow'... LOL

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
some people at the dealers are just plain goody toshoes! I think it comes down to a jealous matter sometimes! I have a step cousin that is a GM mechanic, and he is so against diesels with chips its not even funny. So I rub it in when I see him just to be an A**. But the dealers get paid for the warranty work anyway, so I don't see why they make such a big deal about it. I have had them put stupid stuff on the invoice before also. After I put my leveling kit in, I had the dealer align it, and the bottom of invoice said, "customer has torsion bars maxed out!" I argued with them a while, they could not take it off. The funny thing is, my torsion bolts could go a few more full turns, but anyway, it all comes down to the sh*thead mechanic working on the trucks. My dad has been a GM mechanic for 25 years, and he doesn't rat people out, he gets paid one way or another!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the reply's guys. I do plan on going back, I just wanted some of your input. I don't know what to expect from going back, but we'll see. I would not expect them to warrant something I caused, but to put a statement like this on an invoice without even asking me about the situation seems like they are trying to get out of any future repairs that should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I talked to one of the service managers. They did a little back peddling, but I was told that they "have to put the statement on the invoice because if there is ever a future problem and aftermarket wires had been installed, GM would come back on them" - whatever. Long story short, they are covering their own a$$. My biggest mistake was taking it to them with the pyrometer installed without the tap for the boost and without the guages. Believe it or not I was in the process of painting the guage pod when I took it to them. Anyway, I guess it is common to see a pyrometer installed and nothing else if someone has a "box" installed. You would have thought I used to have an Edge box at one time or something:D

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
The gages argument is an easy one to win

I told my dealer that I tow heavy equipment and stock gages are usually not accurate !!!

I also put a better exhaust and intake to help the engine breath more efficiently and they never questioned me again for the last five years.

IMHO anything bolt on that monitors engine function such as a EGT-Boost-or add on transmission or oil temp gauge has absolutely nothing to do with injectors or anything engine related.

If they were to push the issue they would get their AZZ handed to them in court.

Good Luck.

T;) NY

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I never had an issue in the first 62K. I am hoping I never have another issue.

Thanks for the info and support.

Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts