Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any problems that can be caused by not using a winter cover???

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
It is optional ....For quicker warm-ups and more heat in extreme cold temps it is recomended but not a must and A diesel will run more efficent at normal operating temps ...

Mac

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't think it will damage anything but your truck would warm up alot faster.You would also get better fuel economy. The faster you get up to full operating temperature the better.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
In my opinion the main grill cover need a velcro flap that you can open. That way you could regulate the cold air to the radiator.

·
Registered
391 Posts
T.P.N. said:
Are there any problems that can be caused by not using a winter cover???

ASK THE DRIVERS UP AT "DYSARTS"
Edited by: mpl897

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would, but it's too cold up there!!!!

·
Registered
868 Posts
I am not using the cover in Vermont. In sub-zero weather, this means that the engine operates at around 180F in light throttle driving, but when I have a sustained load (such as climbing my 6% hill for the last 1.5 miles home) it gets back up near 200F

Remember that the lowest marking on the temperature gauge is 160F, not 100F like most vehicles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had my Check Engine light come on and stay on. Took truck in and dealer said fuel sensor temp gauge was the problem. Fixed it and I got truck back. A week later the light came on again, called dealer and they said it was the winter front being on when the temp outside was above 0. The fuel sensor was getting a false reading. Therefore no big problem. The book does say to only use front cover during -0 Temps. This is just for eveyone elses info. Hope it helps some of you guys living in the North. Let me know if anyone else has had this happen??. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
If you dont use it, the ice and snow from the road could get into the fins of the coolers, the salt can get in there also and corrode all those vital components. This damage is not covered under warranty and is considered neglect. I personally use mine year round to gaurd against bugs in the summer. The cooling fan will keep the engine temp at bay.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
A diesel runs better and more efficient when it is warm. I drive 25 miles to work, and on cold nights, 0-15F it just about gets to 190 by the time I get home. That is only using the engine grill cover and not the trans cover. You will not do any damage, but will get better fuel mileage with the cover on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just decided to run with the upper cover on and leave to lower cover in the garage. Partly because it was easier and also the temps around here are slightly above zero. Does anybody see a problem with this?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I also run just the upper cover on to block the radiator. I have heard people having problems with rust or corrosion when running the bumper cover cause it holds salt and pebbles and rubs into the bumper. I also relocated my temp sensor so it would still read accurate when the upper cover was on.

Bob

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mackin said:
It is optional ....For quicker warm-ups and more heat in extreme cold temps it is recomended but not a must and A diesel will run more efficent at normal operating temps ...

Mac

What Is Normal Operating Temp 170-200? Mine Does Not Over 170 It Was About 13 Today And No Cold Fronts

Mac Did You Get Any Of My PM"SEdited by: RUMAXED

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
RUMAXED said:
Mackin said:

Mac

What Is Normal Operating Temp 170-200? Mine Does Not Over 170 It Was About 13 Today And No Cold Fronts

Mac Did You Get Any Of My PM"S

I'm seeing 190 ish .....

PM's ?? Everyone is on ignore ....

All right,I'm kidding .... I was alerted late last night my inbox was full ....

Mac

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mackin said:
RUMAXED said:
Mackin said:

Mac

I Guess I Need Cold Fronts

Mac Did You Get Any Of My PM"S

I'm seeing 190 ish .....

PM's ?? Everyone is on ignore ....

All right,I'm kidding .... I was alerted late last night my inbox was full ....

Mac

I Guess I Need Cold Fronts

Also I Guess It's Better To Be Ignored Than Not Ignored At All Or Something Like That. Are You Looking For Mirrors For Your Truck?

·
Registered
60 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

Is the truck supposed to come with the cover? Or is it an aftermarket thing? I did not get one with mine. ANY HELP???

SKY</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
408 Posts
It Is An Option For The North East, Were Not Cold Enough

·
Registered
868 Posts
When I took delivery of mine in northern NJ in Jan 2003 it came with it, under the rear seat of the CC

·
Registered
227 Posts
I didn't use mine at first. But finally did break down and put the grill cover on. It does seem to warm up faster. Also I see the transmission actually warms up on the drive to work now with it on. I am still not using the bumper cover. I just can't see where covering up the two small holes would make any big difference. Also the grill cover is easy to put on in comparision to what it looks like the bumper cover would be.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I've used the grill cover only for now my third winter season with the truck. Never have used the bumper cover and I agree with Larsonem that it looks to be much more trouble than it's worth. It really seems to make the engine happier in very cold temps and the transmission will stay pegged cold if you don't cover that pretty efficient cooler up in front of the radiator.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts