Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have their front driveshaft seize up that they couldn't get it off? I tried everything from tapping on the slip joint, to heating it up w/ a torch, to pryint on it, and tapping. Nothing worked. I had to cut it off. Now, I'm trying to find another slip joint that will work on the driveshaft. It's a real odd shaft that gets very thin where it passes the linkage on the trans. Figured I'd tell my story since the site said I haven't posted in weeks. Other than that, my truck's running great, have almost 205k miles on the ticker!

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I had the same problem with my front shaft this winter. The splines were rusted solid from the lack of movement. I was going to just sawzall the tube but you can just loosen the front diff housing mounts and it will come out easy enough.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Joey, please a little more info. I have the same exact problem and the rear u-joint has no bearing rollers in two of the cups!!! Can you just undo the mounts for the front diff. and move it forward enough that the shaft will come out? Mine splines are rusted solid!

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
It's easy enough to do and you need the old shaft as a core for a new one. On the pass side there are 2 bolts holding the assembly in place and the drivers side has the diff mount points 2 of them I just loosened the pass side and removed a bolt from the drivers side and it came right out. I don't know where you are but if you close to me I can remove it for you.
I got my new one from a shop in Wakefield, Montrose Machine for 250 or so. It's a begger tube and has greasable U joints as well as the splines

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Thanks Joey. If I can't get it I may give you a call. I'm up in Tewksbury btw.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I didn't think of moving the front axle, that's a good idea. I should have asked before I cut it. Oh well, as long as I get it working again, I'll be happy. So, you got yours out, and replaced it anyway?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts