Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1995 k3500 4x4 dually
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
So just picked up a 95' 3500 dually. New to the 6.5. Did an oil and fuel filter change and relocated the pmd to the bumper. I tried to bleed the new fuel filter by cracking it and cranking the motor, no fuel ever came out but the truck fired up so I closed the bleeder and just figured it didn't have enough air in the system to bother it. Drove it a couple days then was reading about the lift pump maybe not pumping and the injector pump possibly carrying the load so I tested it as I read to... opened the bleeder on the fuel filter while running, on what i read i should have been bleeding fuel without the truck dying if the pump was good, well nothing bled out and the truck stalled and wouldn't start. Tested the lift pump by jumping over the relay and got fuel out the bleeder on the filter. Then I bled at the t handle by the oil cap, good bleed again. Put the relay back in and cranked the truck while a buddy cracked the t-handle to test the optic sensor.... good bleed again.. then we cracked the first injector loose to bleed there, no fuel... replaced the shut off solenoid with a new one, still cant get fuel at the injectors. My neighbor has a 6.5 and has a spare pmd I will try tomorrow but if that doesn't work then all I'm left with is the injection pump taking a **** right? Or is there something I'm missing? Is there a way to test the injection pump?? Sorry for the long read, just making sure I'm clear on the issue and what's been tried so far.
Thanks,
Willie

·
Administrator
19,899 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

I would jump the fuel relay to force run the lift pump. Then open the T valve located by the oil fill cap and let fuel drain from the line into a clear container.
You should see 1/2 pint from the drain line in 15 seconds.
If you need to replace the lift pump replace it with AC/Delco EP 158 and replace the OPS.

·
Registered
1995 k3500 4x4 dually
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep did all that, as i stated in my original post. Lift pump seems to be working fine.

·
Administrator
19,899 Posts
Yep did all that, as i stated in my original post. Lift pump seems to be working fine.
Where did you source the PMD relocation kit from? A faulty relocation harness can cause this issue.
Try removing the PMD from the relocation harness and plug it directly into the OEM harness on the Injection pump.
If still a no go try a "Known working" PMD w/resistor installed, connected to the OEM harness as well

·
Registered
1995 k3500 4x4 dually
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They already had a relocation harness installed and had the pmd zip tied to the top of the fuse box on the drivers side. I just moved it down and mounted it behind the bumper and drove it a couple days after that.

·
Administrator
19,899 Posts
They already had a relocation harness installed and had the pmd zip tied to the top of the fuse box on the drivers side. I just moved it down and mounted it behind the bumper and drove it a couple days after that.
Try what I posted above in post #4 and see if things improve.

·
Registered
1995 k3500 4x4 dually
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok... so put the charger on the batts last night. Got off of work today borrowed the neighbors spare pmd, and it fired up.. killed it, put my pmd on there and it fired right up. Drove it to the store, ran like ****.. cutting out while getting up to speed. Got it home idling in the yard and it died and now once again it's not getting fuel to the injectors. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
19,899 Posts
Ok... so put the charger on the batts last night. Got off of work today borrowed the neighbors spare pmd, and it fired up.. killed it, put my pmd on there and it fired right up. Drove it to the store, ran like ****.. cutting out while getting up to speed. Got it home idling in the yard and it died and now once again it's not getting fuel to the injectors. Any thoughts?
Put the neighbor's spare back on it and try again

·
Registered
1995 k3500 4x4 dually
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did, no fuel to the injectors. Wont start.

·
Administrator
19,899 Posts
I did, no fuel to the injectors. Wont start.
Is the PMD connected to the relocation harness or the OEM harness on the IP?

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Have you checked for trouble codes? If not, that should be your next step.

·
Registered
265 Posts
no real time to follow up but I would try and get a fuel pressure gauge inline at various points. this could be mechanical and if you could get readings both pre and post ffm that could help shed some light on things. Easy check if your hands are small enough.Also been a while but I believe you ought to flow test the LP... should be a certain volume/seconds at he T handle... Should be easy to search here. I have certainly had my share of issues with the FFM so I am always skepticle of what might be going on in here if I am not familiar with it.

·
Registered
1995 k3500 4x4 dually
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the ideas folks. I'll pick up a gauge and also run the codes on it here in the next couple days and report back. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1995 k3500 4x4 dually
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick question.. should I clear the codes, try to start it and then run the codes? My thinking is who knows if they've ever been ran or cleared after repairs throughput its life. Thanks

·
Registered
1995 k3500 4x4 dually
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update....
I had already ordered a new OPS (ac delco) and a new pickup pump the other day. Replaced both after work today, bled the filter then t-valve, cracked a couple injector lines and had the wife crank it over a bit and saw a bubble!! Couple more turns and she fired up. Crawled under and verified the lift pump was pumping while it was running... all good. Test drive...all good, no hiccups. Thanks you all for your input, help and suggestions. Next thing on my checklist is an ops bypass relay harness to remedy that problem from happening again. And for now a cooling system flush and next after the harness upgrade I plan on doing the water pump/fan clutch/duramax 8 blade fan upgrade. Anything else you fellas (or gals) recommend before what I have planned here?

Thanks again.

·
Administrator
19,899 Posts
Update....
I had already ordered a new OPS (ac delco) and a new pickup pump the other day. Replaced both after work today, bled the filter then t-valve, cracked a couple injector lines and had the wife crank it over a bit and saw a bubble!! Couple more turns and she fired up. Crawled under and verified the lift pump was pumping while it was running... all good. Test drive...all good, no hiccups. Thanks you all for your input, help and suggestions. Next thing on my checklist is an ops bypass relay harness to remedy that problem from happening again. And for now a cooling system flush and next after the harness upgrade I plan on doing the water pump/fan clutch/duramax 8 blade fan upgrade. Anything else you fellas (or gals) recommend before what I have planned here?

Thanks again.
You can do the OPS relay mod yourself using this link: OPS Relay Mod Install (1992-1995 OBDI Trucks)

·
Registered
1995 k3500 4x4 dually
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well back again... started and ran great yesterday and today back and forth to work. Hopped in awhile ago to head into town.... wont start again.. cracked an injector and again I'm getting no fuel to the injectors again. Still haven't had the chance to read the codes, guess that's next.

·
Registered
1995 k3500 4x4 dually
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ran the codes, here they are..
29-glow plug relay fault
34- injection timing stepper motor fault.
78-Turbocharger waste gate solenoid fault.
94- cylinder 5 balance fault.
95- cylinder 4 balance fault
98-cylinder 1 balance fault

1 - 20 of 27 Posts