Diesel Place banner

Not All Paper Air Filters Are Created Equal!

7K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  dmaxalliTech 
#1 ·
Just an FYI.

Replaced my ACDELCO paper air filter yesterday. Put in a purolator from the local auto store. Noticed purolator was considerably lighter. Why? Looked around and finally realized the ACDELCO contained much more paper. The purolator had approx. 75 pleets, while the ACDELCO had approx. 150 Pleets.

Without duing any scientific testing, I would ASSUME the ACDELCO stopped more particulates while the Purolator flowed a little more air?

#2 ·
Yet another reason why I will continue to use AC Delco products!

Another reason is many years ago when I attended a local community college I had a teacher that showed us various oil & air filters from many companies that were cut open. It was amazing to see what these companies used for materials in making them and also the amount of filtering media they used.

The two that stuck in my mind all these years is the "FRAM" with the junk they used then and still today!! And of course the AC Delco was made the best and had more and better filtering media in them then and now!!!

#3 ·
I agree, except to add that WIX seems to be one of the best at a good price point and readily available. WIX is my preferred filter for everything. If I can’t get WIX, it’s AC/Delco all the way…

#5 ·
BRONCO---The AC/DELCO with 150 pleats vs the Purolator with 75 pleats has more surface area per square inch. Therefore, the AC/DELCO should not only catch more dirt but also flow more air! It should also have a longer service life! ( guess you can tell I love paper filters! I only want oil on my salad with a good steak!)---Phil

#6 ·
Crusher,

I did think about the fact that if you unfolded the ACDELCO it would have nearly twice as much surface area. However the paper density itself looked to be more and also the fact that there were 150 pleets really caused also the ridges to be packed together. The purolator actually had riges and valleys and do I dare say you could actually see the light through the Purolator. No pinholes whatso ever, just light.

The ACDELCO requires a strong light behind it, to see it.

Like I said without testing, it is hard to tell. With the Dmax being a turbo and all, I am sure both filters flow plenty and then you are back to protection. I will get an ACDELCO when I get a spare 20 and some time. Maybe I will even return the Purolator.
Edited by: Bronco

#9 ·
Rut Roo

Don't know, got one sitting at home that I was going to put in tonight. I'll get the part# off of it and cross check to make sure it is the correct part#. I thought the glue was something special so yous guys can tell if the factory filter has been replaced.

Thanks!

#10 ·
Odds are, the Purolator unit is exact same # for a gasser as well.

Not completely certain of this, but on a gasser, you can order a high capacity air cleaner. Cost is like $25. I believe it is the Dmax element pure and simple. Those with a gasser looking for improvement should consider the Dmax filter#.

#11 ·
Kennedy said:
Odds are, the Purolator unit is exact same # for a gasser as well.

Not completely certain of this, but on a gasser, you can order a high capacity air cleaner. Cost is like $25. I believe it is the Dmax element pure and simple. Those with a gasser looking for improvement should consider the Dmax filter#.
Yep. My 1999 5.3L had the same AC1618c that my LLY has.

Jim

#12 ·
The glue is on the incoming side of the filter. there are 5 1/8 inch beads that run the width of the pleets. It gives the filter more rigidity and keeps the pleets from laying over and getting sucked around.

My Dmax came with the high capacity air box. Don't they all?

The filter number for the Purolator is the same for the gasser and dmax. Atleast in the Purolator book they only had one llisted.

The Purolator filter never the less had much less paper/pleets in it as compared to the ACDELCO filter of the same part number.

#13 ·
Well, this is an interesting and timely topic for me. Bought my used '02 in the last week of April, 2003 from the local dealer @ 43,300 miles - fuel filter and oil filter change/lube was done before I took it off the lot and I drove it for 4500 miles (47,000+ total miles) and then had ALL fluids changed and lubed - new AC/Delco air filter (AC1518C) was installed at this time.

Jump ahead to 52,000 total miles and have noticed mileage dropping off when winter fuel should be a thing of the past in this part of Calif. While on towing trip to Oregon last weekend I looked at the air filter indicator and saw 80% restricted on both sight-indicators. Naturally no Chevrolet Parts Dept. open on a Saturday so I went to the local NAPA store and picked up a replacement Wix filter. Pulled the 5th wheel home on the identical route and looks like mileage improved by about 2 mpg.

Now, I read that Purolator (see post above) has only about 75 paper pleats and the Duramax air box filter, (label says to use AC 1618C), has about 150/ pleats? So I counted my new Wix and have 73 pleats whilst the just replaced AC1518C has 120 pleats.

So my dealer didn't use the right filter last year when he replaced it - but is the difference in AC/Delco part numbers a big deal or basically the same filter? I know I will be using only AC/ Delco AC1618C filters from now on and that the expected hours/miles appears to be closer to 5000 miles rather than 7500/10,000 as I previously thought.

My truck is mostly on pavement and is only 2WD so I am not out really boondocking with it.

Anyone have similar life out of their air filters?

Bill

#16 ·
Speaking of Air Filters, what would be considered a respectable service time for a OEM paper filter. I live in LA. I am thinking min twice a year, more if living or driving in dusty areas or conditions. What to you guys think?

Bill

#18 ·
Well, I don't know if it is respectable, but my air filter has almost 20k on it in a year and a half. Doesn't look bad, filter minder still says it is still good to go, but once my order comes in from Eric it'll get replaced with another delco...

Bob

#21 ·
dmaxalliTech said:
dndj said:
Where do you guys buy the AC Delco filters from (Dealer?) and what are you paying?
You can get the a/c delco filters from gmpartsdirect, or from www.gmdieseltech.com . I am sure that there are other sources on line as well. 20.00 is what an a/c delco filter is worth

IIRC the gassers use a 1518C while the deazuls use a 1618C
Eric,

This is getting more interesting by the hour! I visited my Chevy dealer with the ACDelco1518C air filter I had replaced with a Wix replacement (see my first post above for details) and they pulled a new box labeled with ACDelco1618C from their shelf to see what the difference was - guess what they found inside the unopened/unused box? - thats right - a new ACDelco1518C air filter

So,Eric, what is the 1518C designed to work on and what is the difference between the two? My dealer only had the one new filter on hand

By the way, I am going to order three of the damned things from you post haste but would like to know the straight scoop before I do.

Bill

#23 ·
rvarner said:
For filters and belts, check out www.gmpartsdirect.com. They seem to be reasonable but are sure slow shippers so don't be in a hurry. Ordered some belts and parts on the 13th and still waiting. I think they are a low volume GM dealer.
Blah on them, order them from a supporting vender here

The 1518C filter is speced for the gassers. The 1618C fits the Dmax specifically. I dont know if difference in pleat count, but the important part is the 5 glue lines for filter stability. I have seen filters sucked into the turbo.. makes a mess....Those glue lines add rigidity to prevent that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.