Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just trying to confirm what I pretty much already know. Just bought an 02 LB7/ZF6 truck and we just got a ton of snow here, and my truck is absolutely worthless in this stuff unless i'm in 4WD. At first I was blaming the tires but now after looking in the glovebox, i don't see the G80 code which bums me out... I thought all duramax trucks had it. So is it true? No G80 definitely means no posi? My 6.5 has the G80 code and plows through this stuff in 2WD like nothing...Kind of irritating. :mad:

Registered
Well mine didnt come with a g80 and I'm glad the G stands for GRENADE but if my truck did have one would have been got broken with my over sizes wheels and tires but I have an ARB air locker sitting in the closet waiting to get installed 馃槉

Gone but not forgotten member
Probably because of the ZF-6. And, the G80 isn't posi-traction it is a limited slip differential. All the Allison equipped ones I've seen have the G80.

Reactions: 90GMC62L

Registered
Could be worse. It could say G80 on the code sheet in the glovebox, but when you take the cover off, it's just a regular diff...I guess it grenaded on the previous owners [for my truck] and they just threw in the cheapest replacement...

Bac To The Future
Yes, there are Dmax trucks out there without a G80. I believe the first few years, it was an option by itself, not included in the towing package or offered as standard equipment.

Registered
Probably because of the ZF-6. And, the G80 isn't posi-traction it is a limited slip differential. All the Allison equipped ones I've seen have the G80.
well, I disagree. it is an auto locking differential not a posi/limited slip.

However, I thought at least all the allison durmax came with the G80 std. They did from 2004 and up.

Registered
I can confirm that not all Duramax's came with a G80. Mine didn't, I bought it new.

Reactions: 90GMC62L

Registered
Im not sure what my 01 ZF6 had... but what do you expect in the snow in 2wd with a bunch of torque and no weight on the rear tires? An automatic truck is a little more forgiving in 2wd in the snow, but when I had my 01 I always ran in 4wd in the snow, because thats what its meant for.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Im not sure what my 01 ZF6 had... but what do you expect in the snow in 2wd with a bunch of torque and no weight on the rear tires? An automatic truck is a little more forgiving in 2wd in the snow, but when I had my 01 I always ran in 4wd in the snow, because thats what its meant for.
I see what you're saying but I just think it's embarrassing that my 6.5 plows through it without breaking a sweat in 2WD but it has the G80. I guess I just got too used to it. My old 98 1500 was a one wheel peeler too and it drove me nuts. I just don't have the patience to sit there and spin all day lol. :hehe:

Premium Member
An old trick with running a manual trans in the snow is to start out in second gear. I learned that with my 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix.

Registered
Yeah I would do that as well when I had it, but it was nice cause it has enough torque you can just let out the clutch at idle to get it moving.

Registered
change your driving habbits, imo the G80 is a love hate relationship, when it works, it works and is a violent bang when it decides to work, or it stays locked in, or just no shows, i cant wait to get rid of this thing

Premium Member
G-80 equals GM goe sideways! Some times I wonder if better off without it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts