Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor and I have twin 2001 Dmaxes. Only complaint is the fuel gauge in both are terribly nonlinear. The needle will slowly fall to 1/2 full, then move faster than a Hot Juiced Duramax the rest of the way. I've heard it's a common complaint but is there a way to "cure" it? I'm switching to a Transfer Flow tank in the near future and if anything can be done, that's probably the best time to do it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My 2002 is the same. It seems that the top half of the tank holds 16 gallons and the bottom holds 10 gallons, according to the guage.

Steve

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
GM trucks have been like that for years(at least back to 97 that I can say). Must have something to do with the design of the tank/float assembly.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Actually it's all GM vehicles, or at least the trucks and Camaros anyway. I read an article a couple of years ago that said it was intentional so that owners would use more of the capacity of their fuel tank. Theory is I guess that most people refuel when gauge is above 1/4 tank and if 1/4 is really less then your will get a greater range without GM having to install a bigger tank.

BTW on my 93 Z28 I get 125 miles before the gauge comes down to full and at 250 it's empty. On my truck I get 250 on the first 1/4 and 250 on the remaining 3/4.Edited by: a64pilot

·
Registered
410 Posts
I shouldnt complain cuz i really like my truck...BUT...yeah, you better diesel up when she hits one quarter..i was looking pretty hard one afternoon pulling my 5r and the dic was shouting out loud LOW Fuel..now i carry an extra 5 gal can..like these fools cant give ya a 30 gallon tank on a 42k truck..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts