Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting this for both performance tuning and monitoring capabilites. But my issue is that I am nothing more than a network engineer not a gear head or someone that even understands fully how these engines work. Being a computer guy, I enjoy turning knobs and adjusting things just how I want them to work. I am not looking to make a lot of power, I just want to be able to play. I also want to be able to smoke thoes OVER EGOED HIGH SCHOOLERS AND THERE RICE BURNER CARS THAT THINK BIG TRUCK = SLOW TRUCK! (God it felt good to get that off my chest).

Are people like Kennedy or some of the other experts planning/thinking of making some custom tunes available that might help newbies like me understand what was changed and how it affects the truck? Should I just save my cash and get a Preditor? Some guidence would be appriciated. I think this software is the greatest thing since the personal computer, but I want to know that "I" am going to be able to write a tune and not screw my truck up to much. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I am thinking of getting this for both performance tuning and monitoring capabilites. But my issue is that I am nothing more than a network engineer not a gear head or someone that even understands fully how these engines work. Being a computer guy, I enjoy turning knobs and adjusting things just how I want them to work. I am not looking to make a lot of power, I just want to be able to play. I also want to be able to smoke thoes OVER EGOED HIGH SCHOOLERS AND THERE RICE BURNER CARS THAT THINK BIG TRUCK = SLOW TRUCK! (God it felt good to get that off my chest).

Are people like Kennedy or some of the other experts planning/thinking of making some custom tunes available that might help newbies like me understand what was changed and how it affects the truck? Should I just save my cash and get a Preditor? Some guidence would be appriciated. I think this software is the greatest thing since the personal computer, but I want to know that "I" am going to be able to write a tune and not screw my truck up to much. Thanks.
Yes,

I think that you will see some basic starter tunes being shared with the public very soon.

The software is very good and it is not hard to make changes to your truck. Simple things like raising the speed limiter reflashing for tire sizes, etc are just basic numerical value changes.

You can very easily change the fueling and the timing, try it and see what difference it makes.

If you are interested in it download the software from EFI-Live and either myself or Trippin can send you a stock file so you can play around with the tables.

Then if you want the hardware to load the tunes into your truck simply purchase it.

It is not quite try before you buy, but you can play around and get the feel of it.

T;) NY

·
Banned
6,537 Posts
cscoman

You make a good argument. If there was a diesel handbook that explained the interrelationships. Most of us struggle to understand the dependancies and cause/effect, at least at first.

I suspect someone will come up with a good FAQ for this purpose, as this (if this) becomes more popular.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
cscoman
Don't be intimidated, if you are a network admin you have technical skills and knowledge that many here would die for. Just understand that there is more than one learning curve to deal with, you have tuning software, scanning software, the actual diesel tuning techniques and last but certainly not least, basic PC skills, i.e.: file systems, windows functionality, etc. To date everyone is a newbie with EFILive tuning and scanning software, by taking it slow, making one change at a time, and asking questions or searching the various forums you will begin to learn how your changes affect things such as smoke, power, drivability, EGT's, etc. Sure it takes time to tackle the multiple learning curves but it is a fun and very rewarding when your buddy peels himself off the back of the seat and asks "What chip are you running in this thing?" and you reply "Mine!" :cool2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts