Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick question...a few times over the past winter months i noticed an unusual sound comin from the ol DMAX. it was almost like an out-of-sinc rattle. may sound weird...but right as the tranny is about to shift, it almost sounds like its hangin up for a sec, and to be honest, it sounds like a Cummins rattlin for a split second....then it shifts normally and its fine. usually only the low gears, 1 and 2. maybe occasionally goin into 3. seems to only happen on cold mornings or after sitting for a few days. like i said, its only happened a few times the last 2 months or so. any ideas??

·
Registered
702 Posts
It holds in gear longer when cold to speed up the warming up process. And naturally diesels are louder when cold

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah ha! thanks bud

·
Registered
787 Posts
Warm up cycle. They hold higher rpm before shift. Pilot injection turning off at the higher rpm?

·
Registered
787 Posts
It is ice from driving a 10 hr 200 mile trip back from pheasant hunting earlier this winter. Thought it was unique so i had to take a picture of it. Took a long time of washing to get all the ice off.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
just a quick question...a few times over the past winter months i noticed an unusual sound comin from the ol DMAX. it was almost like an out-of-sinc rattle. may sound weird...but right as the tranny is about to shift, it almost sounds like its hangin up for a sec, and to be honest, it sounds like a Cummins rattlin for a split second....then it shifts normally and its fine. usually only the low gears, 1 and 2. maybe occasionally goin into 3. seems to only happen on cold mornings or after sitting for a few days. like i said, its only happened a few times the last 2 months or so. any ideas??
You are running an Edge, too. The Edge will not fuel until engine coolant temperature gets up to range, but it will advance timing and you will get some timing rattle in the cold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts