Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These engines are freakin noisy, when it is cold, and holding a gear at like 1500 or so, (like through the neighborhood..etc)shoot even when hot...the damn thing sounds like it's gonna blow up with all of the valvetrain noise/diesel knock. Damn thing almost sounds like a japanese 4 banger with a rod knock, which i obviously know can't be..it's too new..I havn't had any time to beat on it yet
, pretty sure it is just the nature of the beast. Edited by: Wickedsprint

·
Registered
199 Posts
You can't be serious.....you actually think they're loud
as compaired to other diesels???? The Dmax is much quieter
than the previous 6.5......and that was quieter than the
older 7.3's and 5.9's used in Fords and Dodges.
Oh well, to each his own.
Tom

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am talking about the valvetrain noise when you hold a gear at about 1500-2000 with the windows down, not so much the volume, just the noise itself is alarming, my powerstroke did it too, which is why I am sure it is not a big deal, most of it goes away when the engine warms up, and it makes good power so not really concerned, just pointing it out is all :) The noise is akin to like a mercedes diesel being revved, sounds like it is going to disinigrate...haha

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
One thing about getting older. My ears aren't as sensitive as they used to be. I might even have the infamous tick but can't hear it so I don't have to worry about it. My son drives a Dodge Cummins. Now I can hear that coming. Later! Frank Edited by: Frank Blum

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
i think what you might be hearing is the pilot injection off and on it does a certain rpm make it some what noisey........get it broke in it'll get smoother....

daveEdited by: sdaver

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I really appreciated how quiet the Dmax was when dad pulled out of the driveway with his Cummins a couple days ago. As far as the new Cummins, I have to admit their real sweet.

·
Registered
212 Posts
A friend parks next to me and I make him turn his older Cummins off until I pull away, it hurts my ears.
He just laughs and pulls off blowing that black smoke. Edited by: TX-DMAX

·
Registered
473 Posts
I drove a 1998 Dodge w/cummins 24 vlave engine, for 5 years. My neighbors were always complaining about the noise it made at 5:30 am, when I would let it warm up in the winter time. They didn't know I had a Chevy Diesel until they walked next to it and seen the Duramax embein. They said "A quite Diesel????"

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The noise sounds like a damn woodpecker goin nuts when you hold a gear constant...I could care less if it blows up...that's what warranties are for.

·
Registered
490 Posts
BigMoe, you live in Wyoming and have neighbors close enough to complain about an idleing diesel??

My 90 year old uncle pulled into our farm market with his new at the time 1999 Dodge Cummins. The girl working at the cash register asked him how he could stand the noise of the engine. He told her "That's not noise it's music to my ears!"Edited by: Pick

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes Pick in Wyoming there are a few small cities were the houses are close enough for the neighbors to complain about the noise. I did enjoy the Cummins noise when I would stop at a stop light in the summer and someone had their window open and talking on a Cell Phone. I would try to get As close to their window as I could and ster on the accelerator a little. Just a Man think is what my wife would tell me!!! By the way I seen a New Dodge with a Cummins today and it was as quiet as my Duramax!!!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I too agree that the new quieter diesels are nice. The old cummins that I've been in, made it difficult to have a conversation in the summer months with the windows down. Now it seems everyone is trying to make theirs more pleasant to the ears.

Under acceleration, you know you're driving a diesel, but at cruising speed, you can barely hear the motor.

I've had mine for almost 10 months now, and I still love to drive it. This is truly the best purchase for a new vehicle I've ever made. The bonus is almost 20mpg and 20-30 cents per gallon cheaper for fuel costs 9 months a year.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Victory, sad to say, diesel is higher here 9-11 months out of the year here in NE Ohio. The bright side is according to an Excel spreadsheet I crafted, the diesel's advantage remains until diesel is 70 cents a gallon higher than regular.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The valve train knock/noise (pre-injectors) is fuel quality related. Try a good aditive, you'll be amazed.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I swear this thing sounds like it is dropping a cylinder...but it runs like a raped ape, so it is probably me, might go by the dealer and drive a new one like mine with the windows down for a sound comparison.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't have even close to the sounds you're describing. I don't hear any valve train noises at all with the windows down. Especially not a woodpecker going nuts.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I hear a well oiled sewing machine....... and that's with CA diesel and no additives

1 - 20 of 20 Posts