Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my juice with attitude a couple of weeks ago, and ever since I installed the egt probe I hear a wierd noise comming from the area around the probe. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak like when you have a blown manifold gasket, but I squirted the whole area with soapy water and no bubbles, so its not a leak.

Anyone have any other ideas, or has anyone else experienced this? Any help appreciated.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Got me baffled. Is this with the truck at idle and you standing close to it?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is at any rpm and you can hear it from inside the truck and out. Don't get me wrong, its not super loud but it is noticeable. Obviously it is loudest when you stand over by the probe. Has me baffled also. It doesnt get any louder with more rpm, the tick, (best way I can describe the noise), just speeds up

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
What make gauge? SOme are known to have a frequency whine

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Are you sure its not the infamous Duramax tick?

·
Registered
124 Posts
make sure you didn't knock the hose out of the vacuum pump

·
Registered
408 Posts
'It doesnt get any louder with more rpm"

Doesn't Sound Like A Leak

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
leaking around the probe where it slides into the fitting?(the one you inserted in the manifold)......most have some type of locking farrell to set the debth of the probe..are the farrells there?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hoot: Its an attitude monitor.

Max Power: No its deffinetly not the duramax tick.

sdaver: Yes the ferells are there.

Is it possible that the probe magnifies the sound of the exhaust???? Kind of like holding a metal rod against an engine to listen for noises comming from the inside????

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
is the probe so deep it touches the back off the manifold and causes a rattle?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Just out of curiousity, where DOES the Duramax "tick" come from and what is it? Sometimes they do it, sometimes they don't. I suppose it all has to do with the engine temp.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sdaver, I hope not. but even if it was, with the probe being tight and the manifold being tight, could it even make a rattling noise?

Man this sucks, I cant believe I'm the only one with this stupid problem

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Where ya at in Pa?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I thought that John Kennedy ran into that with some early model isspro thermocouples? I thought that isspro had modified something. I just read this in passing somewhere.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Filter? I see you have the K&N.........I have the AFE and I get more of a whistle from the filter when I am at idle.

Just a thought.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts