Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... The local peace officer pulled me over the night before I left for New York, to inform me that I had no tail lights (Or to be an ass, not sure which) The problem is.... I don't know what the problem is, There was a broken ground by the gas filler neck, I fixed it, not the problem. What would happin at first is when using the left turn signal, it would turn on, buzz, then not flash, WHEN I would press the brake pedal, if I didn't press the brake pedal, it would flash, but a lot slower then the right flasher but I still had my tail lights, also when I'd pull into the driveway, and shut off the lights, the running lights would stick on until I turned on then off the left turn signal, then everything would turn off. Now, I have the flasher working normally, brake pedal pressed or not, and it flashes as fast as the right one and I don't have to fart with the turn signal, everything turns off through the switch.... But now I have no Censored tail lights. I pulled the housing, to check the wires, everything's fine, but that was last night in the dark with a work light, I'm about to go out and check again, and go pick up some new blubs (if not that, I'll have extras), I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, I've checked all the fuses, and they all are fine.

Anyone have any ideas? I've searched, and someone had the same problem, but not the same cause, it was a fuse for them... I'm about to go insane :help:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Check your grounds, most erratic problems are bad grounds. Pull your tail light, disconnect the plug and check the contacts for power with a test light connected to a known good ground. If all is well, then chase the plug to ground wire for faults or corrosion. Good luck.

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know nothing about where the ground is located for the tail lights, care to elaborate please? I know the trailer wiring (I don't trailer, bought it that way) was a cobbled mess, so I just unplugged it, and half of it came apart, and holy corrosion, so I took that out hoping that may have been the problem... Nope, still no tail lights, took out the blubs, they look fine. Also the truck has a back up alarm (disconnected) but I see a crimp tube (for joining two peices of wire) with a green wire that has been cut in half with both ends into one end of the tube, and I'm guessing the other end of the tube was were the back up alarm wire went.... Could that be a problem? Also (no clue if this is sposed to be like this) when I press on the brake pedal with my hand, I hear what sounds to be clicking from a relay.

Engine works a breeze for me, wiring... I start pulling my hair out. did another check of fuses, every single one is fine... and I mean EVERY single one.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Check the connector up by the spare tire which feeds both sides.
Does the unit have trailer wiring?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Grounds if I remember correctly look at the left frame rail behind the bumper.

·
Registered
969 Posts
could also be a short in the wire....... but check for grounds and just had a idea could it be the housing itself? corrosion inside where the bulb goes?

·
Registered
24 Posts
My first thought like many others is ground second is corrosion, if someone messed with the wiring to install the backup alarm they might have exposed other wires to the weather.

any crimp connectors should be consisdered suspect, remove them, solder the wires and use shrink tube to keep them out of the weather. Grounds are much more prone to corrosion and road salt just amplifies the problem.

Good luck.

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check the connector up by the spare tire which feeds both sides.
Does the unit have trailer wiring?
Yea it has trailer wiring, it was the plug in style, but it was corroded all to hell, so I unplugged it (it's a 4 prong plastic t connector) and plugged the wiring back into each other (No more T) I took some pics to help you guys help me.
The first one is a pic of the trailer wiring extention that I removed... You can see why, the second is that connector by the spare tire where the trailer wire used to plug into, the third is of the backup alarm, and my finger pointing to where the cut green wire goes into the tube connector, with nothing out og the other end. The last pic is what it looks like outside... That storm that the US got pounded by when I was in NY, We got pounded by too, 27 cms of snow, I had to dig my truck out before I could use my creeper to get under to check it all out

Attachments

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
could also be a short in the wire....... but check for grounds and just had a idea could it be the housing itself? corrosion inside where the bulb goes?
The housing looks fine, I had it all apart, and there is no corrosion on the blubs, nor are they blown

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My first thought like many others is ground second is corrosion, if someone messed with the wiring to install the backup alarm they might have exposed other wires to the weather.

any crimp connectors should be consisdered suspect, remove them, solder the wires and use shrink tube to keep them out of the weather. Grounds are much more prone to corrosion and road salt just amplifies the problem.

Good luck.
What is the green wire for though? Cause that's what has been "spliced" (if you can call it that) for the back up alarm, back up lights? Cause if so, my back up lights work, everything works, except my tail lights (rear running lights)

·
Premium Member
5,969 Posts
Just my .02. Both Tailights were out on mine. Turned out to be boith taillight assemblys were shorted out. The tailight has a mini circut board in them that goes bad. Both mine went at once. Ended up buying two new complete assys from the stealer. The whole tailight bulbs and all 65$ The circut board alone 60$. apparently it is a common problem on these. the stealer keeps a good supply of them.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Could take a multimeter or a test light to the truck side of the under bumper connector and see if anything is coming from up front.
Brown should be running lights, yellow left turn/brake/hazards and dark green right turn/brake/hazards.

·
Registered
640 Posts
as Corolla said, also light green is back-up and black is ground. By your pictures, corrosion is a likely suspect. I would have a good look into both ends of the weatherpack connector. Also, in the second picture I don't see the brown wire coming out of the connector. It may just be behind your finger, or not?

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Just my .02. Both Tailights were out on mine. Turned out to be boith taillight assemblys were shorted out. The tailight has a mini circut board in them that goes bad. Both mine went at once. Ended up buying two new complete assys from the stealer. The whole tailight bulbs and all 65$ The circut board alone 60$. apparently it is a common problem on these. the stealer keeps a good supply of them.
I replaced both my taillights for the same reason.

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I've noticed that there may be no brown wire as per the pic... Anywho I have a circuit tester, and I'll be checking it out tomorrow... If need be I'll swing by the chev dealer tomorrow and get some lights.

Thanks all, keep posting your thoughts and experiances.... I need all the help I can get... This is driving me totally batty... And not being able to drive at night is ticking me off :mad:

·
Banned
536 Posts
Whoever had my truck before did alot of 'just make it work' wiring. Once thats been done for years, have to continue suit. When any lights, or string of lighs stop working on my truck. I just run another wire from a known working circuit to fix the problem. I have 16 side lights, 5 back lights, 9 front lights on mine. PAIN IN THE ASS. not to mention strobes, reverse lights on switches and other BS.

Don't know if what I said helps, but if you can;'t find the problem, re-wire it quickly.

Do it right though, solder + weatherseal or you'll be doing it again next year. :)

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol trust me, I've considered that

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check your flasher relay. The tail lights quit working on my 83 Blazer. Did all of the cleaning and checking procedures but nothing worked. I spent an hour studying the wire diagram and discovered that one wire was common to the flasher relay. The truck was a diesel with a few rust holes added so it was a bit noisy on the road. Never noticed that the relay wasn't clicking with the turn signal on. Tested with the key on, not started and confirmed the flasher was not working. Replaced flasher, tail lights came on.

I don't know if the wiring in newer trucks is the same but it's worth a look. I think the newer trucks use the same flasher but haven't looked up the part in years.

·
Registered
907 Posts
i had mine quit working and it was the switch on the steering column for the hazards. the switch went bad and it took all of my taillights with it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts