Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help I have a 95 6.5 and after I have been running a short distance I will come back out and I have a no start situation, it will crank but no fire in the engine. I can open the drain valve on top and see fuel running out but no start. The problem is getting more frequent and more often, not to many times has it hapned in the winter but more in warmer weather I live in Terre Haute IN. When I have taken it to the dealer it will not show any codes so they say I am S O L. I have also taken to a local diesel mechanic but the same thing , no codes showing or stored.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
What is the history of your injectionpump/FSD?

·
Registered
7 Posts
That sounds exactly like a problem I had with my 95 K1500. The final repair was replacement of the injection pump under the 120,000 mile extended warranty on the injection pumps. I only had the no restart after short drives and shutdown.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had 2 replacments to my knowlege on injector pumps both under warrenty one before 30,000 and again at aprox 50,000 and I have also had a lifter pump replaced. there is aprox 92,000 on it know, no hauling and short drives in town. When I say no hauling I mean no heavy loads. I try to keep up in the maintence and am pretty particular about routine maintence.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Injection pump is worn out internally. Sorry no codes for that. Just won't pump the hot diesel due to wear. Pour water over the pump and let it set for about a minute or two and see if it starts. Problem is called "heat soak".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well what do I have to do to get the dealer to install a new one? And is there a better pump on the market for them to put in?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The dealer will install one if you have enough money. The pump is out of warranty. There is only one place that amkes them and that is stanadyne.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I had a bad PMD with no codes. I mounted it on the firewall instead of the engine. Upper right corner.

Edited by: quantum mechanic

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I replaced the old fule filter and I had drained and cleaned the dirt and grime out, I am taking it to the dealer for a test of the pump on tuesday to see if it is really bad, it better be under warrenty because they want 1600 and some change pluss 400 to install it. So if it us under warrenty they will replace it. They did himhall around and were reluctant to forge ahead with it but they called someone at HQ and did infact find out that mine would be replaced if bad. They also told me that there was only one pump replaced on this truck, I will let you guys know of the results, Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the dealer put on a new IP and I just got it back pump was under warrenty so was labor but it seems to run sluggish is the timing off or is there any way to kick it up a few notches? also a bit of black smoke not much just slight hint of it.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
You seem to be having the same problems as winchester. New IP and less power. I don't know what the dealer sets them at but I'm running 7.4 deg. advanced on my '94 without incident. I'm getting about 15.5 MPG avg. but I'm always wieghted down with tools and material in the bed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took it to another shop and we will see if anything comes from it. I will keep you posted. Thanks guys. the support I get with this board is great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the other shop dose not want to get into the middle of my problem at this time, they want me to take it back to the dealer so they can solve the problem that thay evidently created, so I am scheduled to take it back on monday,heavy black smoke under acceleration no power and sometimes white smoke. I will keep you posted.thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts