Diesel Place banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have recently had a malfunction with my truck. I had been working on it most of the day, diagnosing a possible injection pump failure. All of a sudden it has no reverse (reverse acts like neutral), and netural acts like you have engaged the transmission in drive, and there are no driveability issues in the /OD/3/2/1 gears. This seems electronic to me since the shift linkage is fine, and the fluid is regular colored and does not have a burned smell to it. There is another weird thing, where the dipstick tubes enters the transmission it will occasionally spew tranny fluid up and out of this hole when the truck is put in park and shut off. I don't know if the 2 are related or not, but i thought i would include it since it is a tranny issue. This tranny was just recently rebuilt and installed the summer of '06...i doubt if i have even put 10k miles on it since then. I am hoping that it is not another dead tranny because that would be just ridiculous... so if anyone has any ideas on why my reverse is gone and why netral acts as if it is drive then please do not hesitate to send me some ideas! thanks!
Symptoms:
1) No reverse
2) Neutral acts as if it is drive
3) No other driveability issues, shifts perfect in first through OD
4) Occassional transmission leakage through dipstick tube hole (could just be bad/weak rubber seal?)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i called a local transmission shop and described my problem to them, and the guy told me that it sounds like the "front plates have welded up"(i assume he meants front clutch plates?) but if this were true i would think the fluid would smell burnt and it would not want to shift through the other gears...is my thinking wrong? i just can't see how this thing could have welded up with only 10k miles on it....anyone out there with any ideas?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay well my opinion may have been wrong...the fluid does seem to be a little burnt, its more of an orangey brown redish color more than straight pinkish red, so could it be that the plates have welded themselves together?? how could this happen after only 10,000 miles?? i havent really drove it all that much, and all i did was pull a boat bout 3 or 4 times this summer...why, if the plates did in fact weld themselves together, did they do it, what caused it??????

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dropped the tranny pan tonight to have a looksy...and low-and-behold there were nice little metal shavings/chunks in the bottom of the pan...the fluid doesn't quite have the burnt smell that my other tranny had when i grenaded it..but it still smells a little...prob. gonna end up pullin' it out, tearin' 'er down and replacing anything that looks worn:(....but if anyone has any info on what can cause it to do this but still be fully driveable in forwards please let me know!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts