Diesel Place banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
So to be clear, its not like a traditional jake brake, it only comes on when using the pedal brake?
No, the brake pedal does not need to be used for the exhaust brake to work, it works when it is turned on by using the switch on the center stack.

·
Registered
653 Posts
So to be clear, its not like a traditional jake brake, it only comes on when using the pedal brake?
A couple of examples to try with the exhaust brake on:

1) Slow down from speed and don't use the service brake. The exhaust brake will work but not very aggressively.
2) Slow down from speed and just press the brake pedal enough to engage the brake light and you will find the exhaust brake comes on sooner and with more authority.
3) Cruising through the mountains towing with tow/haul and the cruise control engaged, the grade braking and exhaust brake will work together (without using the service brakes) to maintain speed. Mine will usually maintain within +- 5mph.

Try 1&2 without tow/haul engaged to see the difference. You will also notice with the exhaust brake engaged the downshift and converter lockup is reprogramed but not as aggressively as with tow/haul engaged.

The algorithms used are not ON/OFF. They are proportional depending on many inputs to the ECM, some of them; exhaust brake, tow/haul. speed, incline, service brake use and more that I'm not aware of.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
No, the brake pedal does not need to be used for the exhaust brake to work, it works when it is turned on by using the switch on the center stack.
on my 2015, the switch enables the function. If cruise control is OFF, the exhaust brake doesn't do anything when I back off the throttle, or if it does anything it is hardly noticeable.

it only engages when I tap the brake. Doesn't make any difference if it is in tow/haul mode or not. Once I tap the brake, then the exhaust brake comes on and stays on, don't need to keep my foot on the brake.

If cruise is on and in tow/haul, the exhaust brake, torque converter lockup, and downshifting are controlled by the ecu to maintain the cruise speed setting w/o touching throttle or brake.

·
Registered
375 Posts
don't know about pulling 18K with the exhaust brake, but on mine, pulling over 10K, down an 8% grade, it will take me from 65 down to under 40 real quick and hold it under 40.

One test had a dually loaded to max GVWR going down the eisenhower tunnel route and they never touched the service brake to hold it to 50 all the way down. just went to tow/haul, exhaust brake on, cruise set to 50.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^ if you set the cruise it works great, on a trip to Idaho last year at 23,000 GCW we went over a 5% and 7% grade and never had to hit the brakes once on the down hill side. hell 90% of the trip was on cruise control using the speed up and down and the truck just did what it need to stay at the speed set. Without cruise set the longer you hold down the brake the more aggressive the turbo brake is.

Reactions: Tom S.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
This^^^^^^^^^^^^ if you set the cruise it works great, on a trip to Idaho last year at 23,000 GCW we went over a 5% and 7% grade and never had to hit the brakes once on the down hill side. hell 90% of the trip was on cruise control using the speed up and down and the truck just did what it need to stay at the speed set. Without cruise set the longer you hold down the brake the more aggressive the turbo brake is.
:exactly:

It really is amazing (especially to old guys like me who remember what towing used to be like) how well these trucks tow with the Tow/Haul turned on and the cruise control engaged, even through the mountains.

·
Premium Member
17,862 Posts
I don't suppose anyone reads the manual any more?

Attachments

Reactions: cgreen and sfcjones

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good info.... I saw a thread on here about transmission temp gauge. How do I toggle to find transmission temp. Its not located in instrument cluster. Sorry if its a dumb question.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Good info.... I saw a thread on here about transmission temp gauge. How do I toggle to find transmission temp. Its not located in instrument cluster. Sorry if its a dumb question.
It's all in the manual. On my gmc denali, tow haul shows trans temp and not battery voltage

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
On my 15 Silverado, I had to toggle through the DIC and select it as one of the screens to show. Since adding a CTS2, trans temp is one of the things it displays, along with engine coolant temp and engine oil temp (need to add sensor for that). The trans temps between factory and CTS2 are spot on, but the engine coolant temps differ quite a bit. That's the difference between using a analog factory gauge and the digital read out of the CTS2.

Reactions: hoserwv

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I don't suppose anyone reads the manual any more?

When all else fails read the directions. You can also test the exhaust brake by putting it in manual mode and downshifting with the turbo brake engaged. I use this method on tailgaters with my 06 and EFILive turbo-brake.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Please tell me more about this. I have the power tow mirrors. Will they extend out manually? Do you just pull them out or what? Only towed once (new truck) and felt they were in too close as is.
Again... Most likely in your maual. Crack it open and a good night time read:clap:

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Again... Most likely in your maual. Crack it open and a good night time read:clap:
Do not read it at night unless you have insomnia as it will put you to sleep! :HiHi:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I used to drive Ford trucks , then I went to college , earned a degree, got a great high paying job and simply didn't have to settle for second or third rate trucks anymore. I could afford the best and that why I drive a Chevy Duramax.....The end....
:thumb:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Again, the "weak" GM front IFS suspension has a higher load capacity than Ford and Ram and is more reliable. BTW, GM offers a factory gooseneck option, nuff said.

for many years the ford and dodge trucks have had front end issues and still happening for the new 3055 Rams after the increase of strength. Newver had or drove any pickup that drove as well as any GM I have owned or driven.

chevman

61 - 80 of 80 Posts