Diesel Place banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
I'll say it again, because it bares repeating, the throttle response kit made a HUGE difference on mine and doesn't void the warranty either.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Hi Tom,

Can I ask what or who's throttle response kit did you install ?

Thx,
dZ302
The one from JMS. The kit number is 1015-GMT or GMT-K if you want the variable control version. They don't sell direct, so you'll have to look around JEGS had a smoking hot deal on them, but sent a few of us the wrong one and we had to return them for the correct version. Someone was talking about doing a group buy.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
The one from JMS. The kit number is 1015-GMT or GMT-K if you want the variable control version. They don't sell direct, so you'll have to look around JEGS had a smoking hot deal on them, but sent a few of us the wrong one and we had to return them for the correct version. Someone was talking about doing a group buy.
Actually, you CAN buy them directly off JMS's website....I did.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Ive pulled several time around 18k with the truck and the exhaust brake seems of little to no use. I feel tow haul mode does more than the exhaust brake.

I just started reading about throttle response kit, whos leading the pack here for the group buy, and with out a doubt it dont mees with the warranty ?

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
In order for the exhaust brake to work, you have to A) Be in tow haul mode, and B) Turn it on. If it doesn't work after doing these, you have something wrong. Mine works great.

For the group buy, go here and start at post 103.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Ive pulled several time around 18k with the truck and the exhaust brake seems of little to no use. I feel tow haul mode does more than the exhaust brake.

I just started reading about throttle response kit, whos leading the pack here for the group buy, and with out a doubt it dont mees with the warranty ?
don't know about pulling 18K with the exhaust brake, but on mine, pulling over 10K, down an 8% grade, it will take me from 65 down to under 40 real quick and hold it under 40.

One test had a dually loaded to max GVWR going down the eisenhower tunnel route and they never touched the service brake to hold it to 50 all the way down. just went to tow/haul, exhaust brake on, cruise set to 50.

·
Registered
701 Posts

I would get it checked out? A monitor would tell you if vanes are closing properly. EB is very noticeable on downgrades with my 12Klb 5er.

·
Registered
143 Posts
For your exhaust brake to have the most stopping power tow /haul and exhaust brake have to be on.The most stopping power is at higher RPM's so if you have to tap the brake for the tranny to shift down quicker on level ground or manually drop a gear or two do so and feel the power.On hilly ground with cruise control on I can guarantee you it will drop gears quick and have you feeling like there is a parachute back there.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
For your exhaust brake to have the most stopping power tow /haul and exhaust brake have to be on.The most stopping power is at higher RPM's so if you have to tap the brake for the tranny to shift down quicker on level ground or manually drop a gear or two do so and feel the power.On hilly ground with cruise control on I can guarantee you it will drop gears quick and have you feeling like there is a parachute back there.
if you don't have cruise control on, the exhaust brake does NOT come on when you back off the throttle like you might think, you MUST tap the brakes to activate the exhaust brake even if the "exhaust brake" icon is on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
if you don't have cruise control on, the exhaust brake does NOT come on when you back off the throttle like you might think, you MUST tap the brakes to activate the exhaust brake even if the "exhaust brake" icon is on.

I use my exhaust brake all the time, Unloaded with out tow haul, and loaded with tow haul, and no cruise control, it works with out tapping the brakes, the brake switch does not turn on the exhaust brake, the dash switch turns it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
It works completely fine without cruise control,but when loaded heavy if you tap the brakes the truck downshifts raising RPM's and increasing braking power

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So to be clear, its not like a traditional jake brake, it only comes on when using the pedal brake?

·
Registered
143 Posts
A Jake brake is a real engine brake an exhaust brake uses the turbo vanes to slow down.as far as using the brake switch that's only for dropping a gear or two quickly to raise RPM's which you cold do manually as well.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
So to be clear, its not like a traditional jake brake, it only comes on when using the pedal brake?
Kind of. You don't have to hold the brake pedal on, just a tap will do.

·
Registered
2009 Chevy LMM
16,207 Posts
I would think all of this info is in the owners manual.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts