Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Huh? I'm at a loss. Coins on a charging pad burning a truck to the ground? Hmmm. I dont believe that you have a grasp on that technology. Wheels won't break free at 40mph with a trailer on? Sounds like stabilitrac may actually work. Exhaust brake a joke? Probably afraid to let it rev over 2400rpm. Can't watch volts and trann temp at the same time? C'mon, you need to watch voltage on a twin alternator, dual battery truck :rolleyes: Mirrors don't power extend? Wow. I say sell it now. Definitely a deal breaker.
Havent had the Bully dog on the 06 for quite a while now. As far as the wireless charging goes, leave some spare change on it, and put your bare arm down on it.

And yes, i dont care if the thing has 5 alternators, and 10 batteries on it. How else are you going to know if something is keeping up, or on the way out if you cant watch it? I just think it should have to option to run tranny and volts.

And il let the thing rev to what ever it wants to for the exhaust brake with tow haul mode on and i dont really feel a note worthy difference.
Ive had evey brand truck out there, and i bought this one again and i just think it lacks in some aspects. Mirrors arent a make or break thing but really, their 6 years behind on the power extend.

Ford and dodge can have the solid front axle all they want, i think the ride quality and parts holding them together blow compared to the IFS. I dont care if my lift kit will cost more, or your front end stands an inch taller, i dont feel like im driving a 20ton dump while driving my GMC and i run the same plows across the board.

Its going into the dealer next week for a check up as mentioned to see if it has any leaks or so on to double check. Just not ready to throw away the warranty on a 70k truck this soon.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I will try that with some change, as far the battery voltage on on silverado I have a voltage gauge as one of the 4 gauges across the top and can enable the option for the center display to show the transmission temp. Your denali has the larger digital gauges compared to my silverado but I'd be surprised if you can't do the same thing with it.

One thing I will add is that the voltage on this changes a lot. The computer varies alternator output so you might see only 12volts or might see 15 volts. It's not like a older truck where you see the gauge go down to 12 and you know something is wrong. Even having a voltage gauge is almost pointless.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Service on Site, just a comment.
Stabilitrak on my truck will not let it spin on dry pavement - other than ice, snow type stuff. So, to compare to your 06 when towing turn it off. On my 011 it will melt the tires if I floor it on dry pavement with the stabilitrak off. With the limiter on I only get a chirp.
I also have an 08 - and the 11 will out-pull and out-race the 08 handily.
On your volt gauges, etc. Perhaps a plug in voltmeter for the cigarette lighter so you can watch it?
Yeah, the dead peddle is maddening. Bad decisions on GM's part. The 08 is lots more satisfying to drive in traffic. I may yet spring the $300 for the plug in device to improve that.
The exhaust brake on the 011 is head and shoulders better than the 08 without it when pulling a load. I suspect it is more expectations on your part that makes you unhappy than reality.
If you believe the truck is down on power it is time to go back to the dealer and drive another truck - or even have a 0-60 drag race with one. That way you will have an actual comparison.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Let me help out here on the "dead petal" thing. Don't confuse an unresponsive petal with a dead one. With the dead petal, it's exactly that - dead. You press it and nothing happens, sometimes for several seconds. I had an unresponsive petal on my 15, which is I think what you are really referring to. You really have to mash it to get much response. It's discussed at length here, along with a cure: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-lml/794074-throttle-response.html I put one of the JMS units on mine - takes about 10 minutes once you know what you're doing, and the change it made was amazing!

And about spinning the tires, as was already stated, you now have traction control that does it's level best to prevent that.

Reactions: MRC and TiredFarmer

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Let me help out here on the "dead petal" thing. Don't confuse an unresponsive petal with a dead one. With the dead petal, it's exactly that - dead. You press it and nothing happens, sometimes for several seconds. I had an unresponsive petal on my 15, which is I think what you are really referring to. You really have to mash it to get much response. It's discussed at length here, along with a cure: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/365-duramax-fifth-generation-2011-lml/794074-throttle-response.html I put one of the JMS units on mine - takes about 10 minutes once you know what you're doing, and the change it made was amazing!

And about spinning the tires, as was already stated, you now have traction control that does it's level best to prevent that.
and don't try to "brake check" by holding the brake and then mashing the throttle. Since the Lexus fiasco, mfg have changed the SW on the drive by wire so foot on the brake over rides foot on the throttle, and that doesn't do what it used to. Takes the fun out of it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
and don't try to "brake check" by holding the brake and then mashing the throttle. Since the Lexus fiasco, mfg have changed the SW on the drive by wire so foot on the brake over rides foot on the throttle, and that doesn't do what it used to. Takes the fun out of it.

So that's why the brake boosting it don't work?

·
Super Moderator
5,987 Posts
I haven't driven a 16, but I now have 16k on my 15 3500 srw D/A and couldn't be happier. Is it as fast as my personal 02 with 540 rwhp, no! But it pulls like a champ in 6th gear, accelerates smooth with a load or without, and I have given up on worrying about tranny temps because the highest I have ever seen is 150 degrees. It is a solid truck and the exhaust brake does a very good job. Maybe you need to have your truck looked at by a good duramax tech. Btw, how many miles on your truck? Any chance you got some bad fuel and plugged the fuel filter?

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
ive been reading this post for a few days,ive also been driving my 2013 2500,checking the throttle inputs/pushing the pedal a lot or a little,,these trucks have all the power you want,yes the 55mph and mash to pass is off sometimes,but try using the tow/haul mode

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
After reading all this I think you have a lemon. I'll help you out. I'll give you $45,000 cash for it right now......

·
Registered
13 Posts
All these guys coming out of pre-emissions trucks and going into DEF, EGR and DPF along with torque management trucks are getting a real shock. Welcome to today's diesel..

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
All these guys coming out of pre-emissions trucks and going into DEF, EGR and DPF along with torque management trucks are getting a real shock. Welcome to today's diesel..
I think thats it really. Dealer said nothing was wrong with it, and i took another truck for a quick ride on and off the thruway. Truck now has 2200 miles on it. I may just have to decide sooner then later for putting a programmer on it. My 06 is going in with in the next 2 weeks to remove all the egr stuff as it 90 plugged, and get EFI live.

I want the truck to has the power as the other one, i just dont want to give up on they warranty. My 06 at stock is, and feels more responsive than the 16.

:confuzeld

·
Registered
501 Posts
I still don't think I've ever heard from anyone that their 07' or earlier Dmax tows better than the 11's and newer. Any way you might wanna read the thread below titled "throttle response", it might be worth trying for you before you go and void your warranty.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I think thats it really. Dealer said nothing was wrong with it, and i took another truck for a quick ride on and off the thruway. Truck now has 2200 miles on it. I may just have to decide sooner then later for putting a programmer on it. My 06 is going in with in the next 2 weeks to remove all the egr stuff as it 90 plugged, and get EFI live.

I want the truck to has the power as the other one, i just dont want to give up on they warranty. My 06 at stock is, and feels more responsive than the 16.

:confuzeld

Can't have your cake and eat it to. Only way to get more power (tuning) means voiding your powertrain warranty. No way around it. You can change the "feel" of the truck with a throttle booster as some have pointe out and not compromise warranty

·
Registered
66 Posts
ServiceOnSite,
I am surprised that your new truck feels to have less power than your older models. My new 2016 Denali has way more power than my 2012 and my 2004. When I first got my 2016, I had new floor mats in it and it did not allow the gas pedal to go all the way down! I was disappointed in the power and ready to take it back. I then adjusted the pedals toward me, and I could then push the gas pedal all the way down!! Big difference!
I feel there is something wrong with your truck! My exhaust break is awesome! It does a great job with my 12,000 lbs fifth wheel.
Good luck. Be persistent with the dealer.

Jesse

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I still don't think I've ever heard from anyone that their 07' or earlier Dmax tows better than the 11's and newer. Any way you might wanna read the thread below titled "throttle response", it might be worth trying for you before you go and void your warranty.
my 15 WAY outperforms my 04.5 LLY, especially when towing.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
ServiceOnSite,
I am surprised that your new truck feels to have less power than your older models. My new 2016 Denali has way more power than my 2012 and my 2004.

Jesse
Interesting that your 2016 has way more power than your 2012 as they are the same chassis and exact same engine.

·
Premium Member
17,862 Posts
1st pic... Engine brake switch. Must be turned on, if needed, every drive cycle. Defaults to OFF upon starting.
2nd pic... TCS/Stabiltrac. Defaults to at startup. One press disables TCS. Long press disables all nannies, except torque limiting in the transmission.

Trying turning the exhaust brake on and the TCS/ stabilitrac off.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 80 Posts