Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 2500HD has about 52,000 on it. During February, I noticed that every time I try to pas or accelerate quickly or power up a hill, the truck will loose all its power and start to slow down (at 1/2 throttle or more). The turbo spins at light throttle, but as soon as I give it a bit more, the turbo stops whining and all power goes away. It has been about 8000-10000 miles on the fuel filter and the weather has been in the teens or lower for temp. As for the fuel filter.....the truck would act like this when the filter was 1000-2000 miles old. Seems worse when it's cooler outside. I added in some Power Service diesel additive (to prevent gelling - white bottle) and that didn't seem to do much. It's at the point now that I can't even pass a car on the highway or get out of the way of a big truck. Also, every now and then I get a whiff of diesel when the truck is parked and not running. Nothing appears to be in the oil and I don't see any on the engine anywhere. No trouble codes either. One more thing, I have been running both B-20 fuel and regular fuel (regular when the place is out of B-20).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
If you smell to be on the safe side put your dipstick end on a piece of paper towel and see if it rings. That will eliminate the fact that its in ur oil. Sounds like a starvation for fuel issue. I cant think of anything at 4 in the morning hopefully later on someone will be able to help.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well, my gasser did the same thing and it turned out to be the throttle position sensor. Now, I don't know where it is on a duramax, but I took mine off of that truck and cleaned it really well, and all was right again. FWIW, you should be able to put a meter on it and run it through the motion and see a nice smooth sweep, like any other rheostat, if it's eratic it needs to be cleaned or replaced.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I wouldn't run Bio when it is that cold but that is me. I would be willing to bet your filter is clogged. The Bio will gell at a much higher temp then straight #2.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Ditto to that.I would put in Meltdown ASAP,then get blended winter grade diesel{NO-BIO-ANYTHING--until it's warmer},start using Howes Lubricator.""YOU GO OR HOWES PAYS THE TOW""---they don't say that for nothing--good luck

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Sorry Specialagent--Don't buy into what you're preaching at all.Not knowing how you handle your diesel;I have seen guys run fuel oil,old diesel with algae,diesel from small stations with low turnout--they'll use some additive and when nothing in the performance of their engine improves--will blame the manufacturer.You can't make gold from straw. Howes has always been good to me for 32 years now.THAT speaks volumes.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Ok i never siad that howes was bad all i said is that facts based on a study a large fuel company did on howes trying to design their own additive. All the told me is that yes like i said before the ingredients are good and it isnt a bad additive but for the amount that they dilute them it isnt worht it for the cost.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all the help and suggestions from everyone. This is my first diesel so I am still trying to figue out its quarks compared to the gas trucks quarks. The problem did end up being the fuel filter (and the air filter was dirtier then I thought). I changed the filters out in the cold, and of course, everything that could go wrong went wrong. I'm surprised that the Biodiesel would clog the filter so bad, but I guess I will stick to the #2 for a bit. Bio is nice though and the truck runs smoother and about 50%+ quieter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts