Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me any ideas about why my new 2006 GMC DUALLY DIESEL CREW CAB with dual batterys and dual alternators and the optional 5th wheel connector option has no power at the rear connector for trailer lights. I checked and there is nothing as far as power at the rear connector. I dont currently need power for the brakes so installing the fuse up fron under the hood didnt help and installing the brake controller and pig tail didnt change anything either still completely dead no power to any of the circuits at the plug by the hitch any ideas the dealer sure doesnt know?

Mr Illegal a trailer with no lights

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
There is a shunt in place of a fuse in the underhood fuse panel. It is the front passenger corner. Replace it with a fuse and you will have power at that plug.

·
Registered
407 Posts
All Tail Lights For Trailer Are Fused Separate In Underhood Fuse Panel Trailer Running Lights, Left And Right Trailer Turn Lights Each Have Separate Fuse And Also Ck To Make Sure The Plug Pigtail Is Pluged In Left Side Right Behind Rear Bumper

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Sorry I didn't read it close enough, I just skimmed and ASSumed.

Check to make sure the plug is seated properly on the back of the 6 pin, also follow it back and make sure the plug is seated properly into the rear junction box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I dont think taking out the shunt and putting in the fuse will help I tryed that first the fuse only puts power inside to the block where the brake controller goes and then the controller sends it on to the back for trailer brakes. I have no power in the back at all even with the fuse in and the trailer brake controller plugged in,this truck was ordered in late 2005 and seems to be a hodge podge of leftovers oh yea wait till you here the electrical problems Im having the lights dim on and off and the air bag light comes on and off when I first start and for a few miles till the glow plugs kick off. Its such a shock to the system it reset the engine hour meter to o hours and the truck has 5000 miles on it but that problem im sure has nothing to do with the lack of power at the rear trailer conector it has to have something that has to be hooked up or something is loose. Im going to keep trying to troubleshoot as long as the weather holds out cant trust the dealer he keepd telling me there is no electrical problems in my truck even though he cant explain why the hour meter reset ant the computer shows a air bag failure. Should I mention the fact that when you put the front drivers seat forward all the way to fold the rear seat it tears a huge hole in the carpet the dealer did replace the front carpet and didnt check to see if it would do it again and guess what? Yes its torn again can GM truly build anything right, yes I can say that I live near the GM COBALT plant and my neighbors build GM cars,sucks huh.

·
Registered
468 Posts
OH yes thanks veryone for all the great tips so far no luck anymore ideas?
There was another DP member who posted a similar problem, I think it was over in the trailering forum last month. He traced his problem to a connector in the area of the rear of the truck that had a pin mashed over during assembly.

You might want to pull that connector apart and inspect all the pins carefully.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
There was another DP member who posted a similar problem, I think it was over in the trailering forum last month. He traced his problem to a connector in the area of the rear of the truck that had a pin mashed over during assembly.

You might want to pull that connector apart and inspect all the pins carefully.
I had a similar problem in that my markers would flicker on and off. I brought it into the stealer and they rebuilt the block nearly 3 years ago. No problems since.

Find a new stealer!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts