Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric-

I guess this is a common problem, but wanted to get some advise. This only seems to happen when it is rather warm outside 90+ degrees. I will lose my power steering when the brakes are applied and the truck is not moving. This happens quite often when we are backing the camper up as well. Sure is a beaaatch trying to turn the wheels with no power steering. Then let off the brakes and the power steering comes back. I hope I explained it correctly. Engine temps and tranny temps seemed to be right at 200 degrees or so. Was hoping there might have been a work around fix to this. Is it the fluid heating up?? Could some type of synthetic fluid be added?? When the outside temps are cooler, then it works just as it is supposed to.

Thanks for any and all help,

Bob

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
Bob,

These trucks are running hydro boot for brakes, with the fluid being used to apply the brakes it may be causing a problem.

I am sure Eric knows something.

GMC
Edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I too have had this happen on my truck, mine does it in the winter also, I noticed it while plowing, not fun. I changed my p/s fluid to gm cold climate fluid(12345867 $11.00/qt) and flushed it with that. That seemed to help my trouble in the cold, I havent had it in the summer. I would double check to make sure your belt isnt slipping on the pulley, you might not hear a squeak but it could slip. Also, a synthetic fluid may help some. There is alot of strain on the p/s pump to run both the brakes and the steering, when its hot, the fluid will get thinner and this may contribute to your trouble.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric thanks for the reply!

Would it be possible for you to run by the procedure to flush out the p/s fluid?? Also about how much fluid do I need to buy?? I wonder if someone makes a better p/s pump that can handle the strain on the system...is the cold climate fluid synthetic?? If not would I look for synthetic p/s fluid?? Is there such a thing?? :D

Sorry for all the questions. It would be nice to get this taken care of before it happens again..

Thanks again!

Bob

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Bob, As far as a procedure goes, I just removed the return line at the pump and stuck it in a bucket and kept filling the pump so it didnt run dry, to make access easier, you could pull a line at the brake booster, they are gonna be easier to get to. I think I ran 4 qts through mine. Thats all I had laying around, I dont know if thats a 100% fix as mine only did it in winter. I dont know for sure if the cold climate fluid is a synthetic, but I am sure that there are synthetic fluids on the market that would work and may be cheaper. I dont know of anybody that makes a aftermarket pump yet...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I don't think there is a better pump. Even Dodge uses the same pump although it is gear driven. We just replaced the pump on my son's Cummins last weekend. We flushed it with Valvoline synthetic blend. It is clear like water. It took three quarts to get a clean almost clear stream. We flushed it just like Eric did. Sperry Vickers designed the GM pump back around 1935. I think it is a vane pump but not sure. If so, temperature will affect performance. Later! Frank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts