Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was driving home from work. My truck started to loose power when taking off from a stop. It seemed fine through the rest of the gears. It did this the whole way home. When I got home, I stopped, down shifted in to first and gave it gas and it seemed to have it's power back :confuzeld The tranny does not feel like it is slipping, it just takes forever (more than normal for a 6.2) to get going. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
How long has it been since you changed your fuel filter?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6 months and 8,000 miles =/-, both the primary and secondary.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Does it have plenty of fuel in it and does it do any other funny things?

There's really only a couple of things that will cause a loss of power in one of these engines... All of them are fuel delivery issues. An air leak can cause the problem... Have you checked it to see if it has any leaks?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just filled it up today. Sometimes if I am crusing the tranny hunts gears between 2nd and 3rd. Other than that, where should I check for fuel leaks and air leaks?

Edit: I just saw the sticky

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
A bad load of fuel will quickly clog a filter, change that first, had one do me that way once when I got some bad fuel

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Yeah, I guess it would be a good idea to change the fuel filters... Sometimes they clog quick like Turbine Doc noted. Checking for air leaks may reveal a leak somewhere if changing the filters doesn't do it.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Ditto, change the fuel filter. On a 2 filter set up, just change the small spin on filter as it will be the one that plugs. The primary filter is a water separator, and it can be drained and checked for water, but then needs to be refilled. Also, make sure when filling the primary filter that it is full to the top. This is a suction filter and if it isn't all the way full, it can suck air.;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it's the tranny. Now it doesn't want to shift from 2nd to 3rd. I thin I over filled it on Tuesday night. It was going away, I just think I helped it.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Great... ):h :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts