Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I've googled and likely cause they say is a bad drain back valve in the oil filter, and when I try to google the alternatives it always comes back to a filter issue. I've done 4 filters now over the course of an oil change, it seems like it *maybe* fixes it or its intermittent. Running shell t6 5-40 synthetic. Today the truck sat for about 48 hours or so, and I tried remote start it shut down which signals me to my Lack of oil pressure, so I go fire it up with the key and it takes about 5 or 6 seconds til my gauge shows pressure.

I have yet to put a mechanical gauge on it, it does read low like a hot idle is 15 psi. Could be a sending unit lazy? Or maybe the pressure relief valve somehow in the filter housing? If I Remeber right this issue started only on this oil change and I do my own changes.

Truck has about 400k km now.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Check to make sure the connection to the oil pressure switch is good. Also check for black wire 5V reference, gray - ground, tan and white sensor signal. Cheaper than buying a new sensor that is functioning correctly.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Check to make sure the connection to the oil pressure switch is good. Also check for black wire 5V reference, gray - ground, tan and white sensor signal. Cheaper than buying a new sensor that is functioning correctly.
Will check the wiring soon here, today I decided to do an oil change, and while I was at it I put a mechanical guage in, I used the plug right in front of what. I believe is the bypass/pressure relief valve? So if memory serves me right it's the pressure of the unfiltered oil however shouldn't matter?

That said. I observed factory read out saying 60 psi through my edge display when revving up, the mechanical gauge was about 70#, then at idle and hot, the mechanical gauge read 20# when truck figured it had 16#, already finding its not accurate at all anymore. Had another start where it took like 6 seconds before pressure was up on the stock gauge/edge but I never thought to check the mechanical gauge on start up. So after a road trip I parked it for 30 and fired it up and this time it was fine, instant pressure lol so it's an intermittent issue? But I got a gauge on it now!

Shouldn't have any issues with readings pre-filtering element hey? It should be the same as after filtered in theory? Or very close until filters getting plugged but it's a fresh filter again.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I’ve had oil pressure issues with WIX/NAPA GOLD ended up eventually having defective anti-drain back valve on 2 different vehicles.
Resulted in having 0 oil pressure at cold start-ups like when you’ve just changed the oil filter.
All WIX/NAPA filters are off my list, the dmax fuel filters has its issues pretty much across the board with having a plastic housing.

Reactions: willydmax

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was using Napa gold only for the past 2 or 3 oil changes, before that was always ac delco. never had an issue with them. The Issue coincidencially? started with one filter of the gold filters and or that oil change. I'm now in my 2nd ac delco filter pf2232A? It's a black filter, they used to be blue but has an A at the end of the numbers. Fresh rotella 15-40w, I run 5-40w synthetic for the winter up here in the great white north lol.

If I can trust the current readings of the gauge location then I'm already finding the sensor is somewhat majorly inaccurate.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
my truck on start-up shows oil pressure after 4-5 secs

and I use GM filters,AND WALMART HOUSE-BRAND OIL,made by ''mobil'' oil company,[same as mobil 1]

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my truck on start-up shows oil pressure after 4-5 secs

and I use GM filters,AND WALMART HOUSE-BRAND OIL,made by ''mobil'' oil company,[same as mobil 1]
Weird! Does your remote start work fine with it like that? Mine kicks out because it's not seeing oil pressure.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I’d be very suspicious of this black ac delco oil filter, I’ve never seen anything other than blue and don’t remember ever seeing a A at the end of the part number.
a lot of black market copy cat out in our world.
I’ve used ac delco on mine for 12 years.

Reactions: steakman

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’d be very suspicious of this black ac delco oil filter, I’ve never seen anything other than blue and don’t remember ever seeing a A at the end of the part number.
a lot of black market copy cat out in our world.
I’ve used ac delco on mine for 12 years.
I know what you mean, it came from a very reputable local automotive parts store so I'd be surprised if they are buying a fake filter per say. But between the Napa gold and this one results are the same of recent.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I know what you mean, it came from a very reputable local automotive parts store so I'd be surprised if they are buying a fake filter per say. But between the Napa gold and this one results are the same of recent.
Reputable or not I’d be questioning this parts store on AC Delco blue filters to what they sold you that’s black.
Maybe the parts store is reputable but the parts buyer isn’t.

·
Administrator
15,976 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
This is :confuzeld, that’s a different part #, he mentioned his was a black pf2232a.
I searched but couldn’t find what you found, thanks, I was curious as well.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fair enough guys, I don't recall it saying it's a ultra filter but will check, also I'm a bit will check my receipt.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Been busy and forgot to reply, I'll attach a picture of the black oil filter from ac delco, says made in China on it. Aside from that I know it's not a filter issue. Ran Napa gold for a a few oil changes OK, then issue started, replaced with a new Napa gold. And now 2 ac delco filters. That's why I was leaning towards a lazy pressure sensor.

I have yet to catch the truck doing the issue, every time I remember to and it's a habit to break haha is to set up my. Gauge then fire the truck up, within 1 second there's oil pressure on the mechanical one. So all I can do now is wait until I catch it in its moment and see if I got pressure on the mechanical but the long delayed reading off the factory one.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright I caught it in the act! Not what I wanted to see, so I had no oil pressure at all on my mechanical gauge for that 4 or 5 seconds as did my factory gauge/edge read 0 for the same time.

Not sure where to go from here 😒 one would. Very likely assume the drain valve. What about the filter bypass on the oil filter housing? It's supposed to route oil up into the main oil galleries incase the filter ever became plugged, if its not sealing it could let oil/air find its way back through the block and into my pan? Or a pressure relief valve in there? It's been a while so my memory is foggy on what valves to expect in the filter housing.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
It’s not the filter. How many more are you going to buy and end up with the same results.

Just a thought.
:confuzeld

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Alright I caught it in the act! Not what I wanted to see, so I had no oil pressure at all on my mechanical gauge for that 4 or 5 seconds as did my factory gauge/edge read 0 for the same time.

Not sure where to go from here 😒 one would. Very likely assume the drain valve. What about the filter bypass on the oil filter housing? It's supposed to route oil up into the main oil galleries incase the filter ever became plugged, if its not sealing it could let oil/air find its way back through the block and into my pan? Or a pressure relief valve in there? It's been a while so my memory is foggy on what valves to expect in the filter housing.

AC Delco oil filters are manufactured in the USA, the number is PF2232 no A at the end and they are blue not black.
No "made in" marking on the filter itself, if yours shows made in china on the filter, its NOT AC Delco.
Now you'll have to make that decision if its not the oil filter like CB57 thinks, its your call with the info I have provided, just trying to help.
I still suggest going to the reputable parts house you bought this filter from and question them with good/correct info provided to you.

Like I've already said I have been down this road with cheap crap filters.
The anti back drain valves hold oil up into the engine so you wont have dry starts without oil pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

AC Delco oil filters are manufactured in the USA, the number is PF2232 no A at the end and they are blue not black.
No "made in" marking on the filter itself, if yours shows made in china on the filter, its NOT AC Delco.
Now you'll have to make that decision if its not the oil filter like CB57 thinks, its your call with the info I have provided, just trying to help.
I still suggest going to the reputable parts house you bought this filter from and question them with good/correct info provided to you.

Like I've already said I have been down this road with cheap crap filters.
The anti back drain valves hold oil up into the engine so you wont have dry starts without oil pressure.
Fair enough, I'll go to the gm dealer and grab a filter, never ever know for sure.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts