Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140k 2000,gmc,k2500 380k 94 chev 1500 n/a
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just replaced the oil cooler with leroy's kit and while i was in there did the oil filter relocator

had good pressure when i parked it it has been leaking out of the oil cooler when i got it 4 years ago

figured i got the lines crossed when i put the relocator on swapped them still no pressure, cranked it with the lines off no oil, pulled one line off the cooler cranked no oil,
pulled leroys adapter plate for the oil filter figuring maybe my engine was special(94 n/a) looks like it should work, cranked no oil with it off,

checked the oil level couple dozen times added oil dipstick level goes up

only thing i can figure is i have somehow put the 90's in too deep and plugged something or there was too much air in the system

where does the oil flow first from the pump? diagram would be handy.
can i get the prime tool and use it without removing the lower intake??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is the 6.2 system the same as the 6.5?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any ideas on back-feeding the system through one of the oil filter or cooler lines?

·
Administrator
17,213 Posts
is the 6.2 system the same as the 6.5?
Yes, the system is identical.
Check your lines for any kinks. If you kinked a stainless line during install you'll have flow issues

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,933 Posts
Did you try unplugging the oil filter relocator first ?
See if the trouble is still there.
If yes, then there is oil cooler lines or oil cooler issues.
If not, then you narrow down to the oil filter relocator issue.

When I did mine, I did not have to prime anything but I did not even put the oil filter angled adapter back. I just used a shorter oil filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got the relocation adapter back on
Everything has to go on just so to fit
1 stage on each side till the hoses
Its a pain to pull off because of that.

I had pulled it once just to see if there was any flow while cranking

After looking at the diagram there shouldn't be oil to the filter till the cooler is full

Pulled both lines and backfilled with a funnel
Still no oil out either of the cooler lines

Gonna pull a oil pump drive gear out of a 6.2 laying around the yard and make a priming tool

Napa has a kit that looks like it might work for driving the pump https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER...Sq4854pZ11TtL8ffyDBtLEv8b3dZfUnRoCW_oQAvD_BwE
Worth a rental at least if I can find one in state

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just got the relocation adapter back on
Everything has to go on just so to fit
1 stage on each side till the hoses
Its a pain to pull off because of that.

I had pulled it once just to see if there was any flow while cranking

After looking at the diagram there shouldn't be oil to the filter till the cooler is full

Pulled both lines and backfilled with a funnel
Still no oil out either of the cooler lines

Gonna pull a oil pump drive gear out of a 6.2 laying around the yard and make a priming tool

Napa has a kit that looks like it might work for driving the pump https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER...Sq4854pZ11TtL8ffyDBtLEv8b3dZfUnRoCW_oQAvD_BwE
Worth a rental at least if I can find one in state
Your suspicion that the cooler line connectors at the crankcase may be the problem could be correct.
If there is no oil flow at the crankcase oil pump output orifice (that you connect the cooler line to)......that could indicate a possible oil pump problem..................

To eliminate an oil pump/pressure problem, I would firstly verify that pressurized oil is flowing directly from the crankcase orifices while cranking......that will firstly require disconnecting the (oil pump output) cooler line mounting connector at the crankcase.....a properly working oil pump will send oil to the orifice while cranking. If you get good oil flow there...the problem is most likely in line/connector hardware/routing of the remote/bypass system.

Using a priming tool will work to pressurise the lubrication system.....but it will not eliminate an oil cooler/ line/remote oil filter flow problem....

Reactions: JMJNet

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its a straight shot both ways no kinks currently or during the install, pissed the old girl off putting new parts on her

have both lines on the cooler off still no flow while cranking, should be able to back feed the system from the cooler return line (front block port) then through the oil cooler feed with the oil pump drive removed, have to do some tapping on a old chevy oil pump to make it fit the cooler lines

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you are not getting pressurized oil flow from the Oil cooler feed line (which attaches to the rear port/orifice on the block), when cranking, then you have a blockage/obstruction between the block port and the line outlet, or your oil pump is not sending oil.

Did you see my post (#8)

Back filling the oil cooler system or pressurizing the remainder of the lubrication system will not (of itself) cause oil to flow its correct path once engine is cranked/run.

Considering the circumstance you are experiencing, you need to firstly verify pressurized oil is flowing to that rear port/orifice when the engine is cranked.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got it plugged in, thinking there might be a slug of ice in the system somewhere gonna drain it end of today and hopefully thats it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts