Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres how my truck sounds with a K&N Filter and a Airbox thats swissed cheesed on the coldside and no muffler. You cant tell in the video cause the diesel clunk sound overpowers the turbo whistle but yeah with the K&N it whistles a lot more now, you can hear the hiss when I let off the gas though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOHXex6nTs

Will a Downpipe get me just a tiny bit more whistle and hiss? If so thats my last mod and I'm just going to enjoy this thing and hope it lasts a long time :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
get rid of that stock downpipe and she'll roar like a drunk whore...ho ho ho

no seriously, with just the filter mod it changes a bit. once the new downpipe goes on, everyone knows it's turboed

·
Registered
95 Posts
That sounds nice my truck sound's pretty much the same way I love that K&N. When I did my down pipe and cross pipe the truck sound's much deeper and I get get a loud whistle and a loud hiss. It sound's like the damn import car I want to park on top of when he comes home at 2 am.

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
"IS that thing turbo'd?" - all stock
"It sounded like it'll eat me" - 2.25" crossover & 3" downpipe
I had a gasser eyeing the truck at the tim horton's drive through, so I gave him a little shot of the throttle, then he had to rev the snot out of his, to show me up... So I just floored the skinny pedal, and as soon as the turbo whistle started to die down when I let off, his smile quickly dissappeared, he didn't want to play no more, I was too loud I guess :D
No air box mod yet, but as soon as I get a new filter, it'll all be fab'd up.

Just having the exhaust dump out of the downpipe makes her SO loud, even at idle when my truck is parked up near the house, and it echo's off my and my neighbours house, and the garage it's damn loud, and when I give it full throttle, it just sounds like a bat out of hell. I hope I'll get even more whistle once I get the intake is taken care of.

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Heres how my truck sounds with a K&N Filter and a Airbox thats swissed cheesed on the coldside and no muffler. You cant tell in the video cause the diesel clunk sound overpowers the turbo whistle but yeah with the K&N it whistles a lot more now, you can hear the hiss when I let off the gas though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOHXex6nTs

Will a Downpipe get me just a tiny bit more whistle and hiss? If so thats my last mod and I'm just going to enjoy this thing and hope it lasts a long time :)
Sounds nice, gives her a nice bark. If I can find the cam I'll look into gettin a movie done for ya so you can have a listen, but I think a downpipe will make you very happy.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
get rid of that stock downpipe and she'll roar like a drunk whore...ho ho ho

no seriously, with just the filter mod it changes a bit. once the new downpipe goes on, everyone knows it's turboed
Awesome, the K&N in itself made this thing a lot louder the video doesnt do it justice, I'll take your word for it and get a new DP should I do the crossover too?

That sounds nice my truck sound's pretty much the same way I love that K&N. When I did my down pipe and cross pipe the truck sound's much deeper and I get get a loud whistle and a loud hiss. It sound's like the damn import car I want to park on top of when he comes home at 2 am.
Yeah that hiss sounds like a Blow off valve but its cool cause we dont have fart can/angry bee mufflers :)

now you just have the filter right? not the K&N intake?
Yup, just swiss cheesed the coldside of the stock air box and added a K&N Filter. I'm going to stick a thermometer in the air box while its idling to see how much heat actually gets in the box though.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"IS that thing turbo'd?" - all stock
"It sounded like it'll eat me" - 2.25" crossover & 3" downpipe
I had a gasser eyeing the truck at the tim horton's drive through, so I gave him a little shot of the throttle, then he had to rev the snot out of his, to show me up... So I just floored the skinny pedal, and as soon as the turbo whistle started to die down when I let off, his smile quickly dissappeared, he didn't want to play no more, I was too loud I guess :D
No air box mod yet, but as soon as I get a new filter, it'll all be fab'd up.

Just having the exhaust dump out of the downpipe makes her SO loud, even at idle when my truck is parked up near the house, and it echo's off my and my neighbours house, and the garage it's damn loud, and when I give it full throttle, it just sounds like a bat out of hell. I hope I'll get even more whistle once I get the intake is taken care of.
I'm surprised how much looks and compliments my truck gets. I wonder if its the smoke,the diesel rattle or the turbo whistle or just a combination of everything. I'm not use to driving a truck around but I guess people just like trucks.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
392 Posts
i got a K&N filter too but i cant really hear a whistle, i dont know, my engine just seems too loud for me too even hear a whistle...on my dads truck you cant even hear the engine at all really, but you can definitely hear the turbo screaming, he had a 6.0L

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
the cross over has less benefit,, cause the restriction is on only 4 cyls,,, so It dont seem to be a drastic diff,,, but the downpipe on the other hand,,,, well lets just say,,, I did the factory air box mod for the 94,, and removed the snorkel,,, used an ac delco filter, and put on the Jardine full thru system,,,3"downpipe, 4" all the way back, and this is how it sounds,,,,,,
Click here to watch jardine-Exhauts

I really hear the turbo whistle,,, thru all rpms,,, I think a little louder on decel the accel,,

the more you help her breathe,, both in and out,, the more your hear the turbo!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i got a K&N filter too but i cant really hear a whistle, i dont know, my engine just seems too loud for me too even hear a whistle...on my dads truck you cant even hear the engine at all really, but you can definitely hear the turbo screaming, he had a 6.0L
I'm guessing maybe because your truck has the flat panel filter?

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Yep, and it's a closed container, get rid of it, and make a heat shield, high flow filter and there ya go, tons of whistle

·
Registered
392 Posts
i know i was talkin about makin a cold air intake buy i think im just gonna buy one, who's a good company do buy one from?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i know i was talkin about makin a cold air intake buy i think im just gonna buy one, who's a good company do buy one from?
Can the 97-2000 airbox fit on the older 6.5's? Im sure you can get one at a junkyard for cheap

·
Registered
426 Posts
AFE makes a decent cold air intake but with their kit there isn't enough heat shield to keep the engine compartment heat out and its really expensive. I plan to make a custom intake in the coming weeks. I haven't heard the best about K&N filtration so I'm gonna look around for other alternatives. I will probably get the intake tubes from intakehoses.com.

·
Registered
175 Posts
AFE makes a decent cold air intake but with their kit there isn't enough heat shield to keep the engine compartment heat out and its really expensive. I plan to make a custom intake in the coming weeks. I haven't heard the best about K&N filtration so I'm gonna look around for other alternatives. I will probably get the intake tubes from intakehoses.com.
I agree. The Afe is a nice setup but IMO could use a little more work to get sealed up nice from the hot engine air. Their filtration is better than the K&N from what I've heard

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I have a 2.25" crossover and a 3" downpipe from Flowmaster.

The crossover may concern 4 cylinders only, but when you see how the stock one looks, sure you'll decide it's worth of it to swap.

The downpipe, don't even ask yourself, change it : the stock one looks like junk.

And yes, 2.25" crossover + 3" downpipe helps the turbo whistling a bit more.

One other thing you may consider if you like turbo song, is a mechanical wastegate.

I highly recommend you buy the one from Bill Heath (see my pic).

Yes, a homemade could work, but you have to set it with gauges to be safe, and not sure if it will work properly.
The one from Bill cost $$, but keep in mind you're too paying for safety, knowledge and experience : you get sure the device will work and work fine : peace of mind has no price!!!

The advantage of the mechanical controler is that the turbo is pushing (and singing) as long as you keep your right foot pushing.
A stock wastegate will allow the turbo to push, then decrease untill low, even if you keep your right foot hard at work. Now that you can hear your turbo, pay attention, you'll clearly understand what I mean.

I will never go back to stock controler, my turbo makes such a nice music :D:D

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
Do your engine an favor and get rid of the K&N because it does not filter well at all.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts