Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using in place of the Mobil 1 5w-40? I have found Rotella synthetic or Delo 15-40. I need to change my oil and Mobil 1 won't have thier new product for a while.:help:

·
Registered
241 Posts
i would go to rotella t synthetic 5w40, same weight and a reliable brand.......cant go wrong.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
i would go to rotella t synthetic 5w40, same weight and a reliable brand.......cant go wrong.
That's what I would do also.:exactly:

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's what I was thinking, maybe I will at least until mOBIL comes out with something.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I run and am happy with the 5w-40 Synthetic Rotella.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Keep in mind that Mobil is still making 5W-40, just not the Truck & SUV formula found at Walmart mainly.

My dad and I just bought 16 gallons of Delvac 1 5W-40 and it came in new packaging that looks like the T&S jugs used to. Mobil must be having issues deciding how they want to market product...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just bear in mind that the Shell Rotella Synthetic is not a "true" synthetic. It is a hyro-cracked dino oil....supposedly as good as synthetic. Mobil Delvac (or T&S) is a true synthetic.....no dino....

Don't know that this necessarily makes one better than the other....just provided FWIW...

·
Registered
58 Posts
went to Rotella.com and they claim it is a "FULLY SYNTHETIC" oil?
Unfortunately, that really doesn't mean a thing! The whole thing began quite a few years back when Castrol (I believe) began marketing some of their hydro-cracked dino oil as "Synthetic". Mobil immediately sued, but Castrol won the right to use the term "synthetic". Now, it is hard to tell the difference between the two.

I don't really remember how I found out that the Rotella was really hydro-cracked (processed), but a quick examination of their MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) lists their Rotella T Synthetic as "Highly Refined Petroleum Oil and additives". On the other hand, the MSDS for Mobil 1 Truck & SUV formula list theirs as "Synthetic Hydrocarbons and additives".

The difference is that the hydro-cracked class of oils start with a petroleum basestock. The "real" synthetics do not, they generally start with some nasty sounding chemicals such as polyalphaolefins (PAOs) and diesters.

On edit.....

One more piece to add.....since I couldn't get Mobil 1 for my last oil change (and didn't have time to order Delvac 1), my truck is on Shell Rotella T Synth. I think it is a quality oil regardless of any of the above, although I will change it out at the next 5000 mile interval. There is only one oil I trust for 10,000 mile intervals in my truck....Mobil 1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts