Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, what are you guys doing on your trucks to keep from making a mess when changing your oil & filter, I use a wide mouth funnel to keep the oil from running onto the skid plate, and the same for the filter, if not it will run all over and get into the cross member, I've also bent cardboard it works also, I'm for sure getting a fumoto valve/w hose... :)

Brad...

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Did not order the truck with a skid plate! :) Problem solved.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
If you know you'll not be going off road, take the skid plate off.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I remove the skid plate. It's only four bolts to take off and put back on. It makes it a lot easier to lube the zerk fittings in the the front end too.

I also use aluminum foil and wrap it around the front drive shaft and make sort of a drain gutter to channel the oil dripping from the oil filter into the drain pan. Keeks from making a mess on the drive shaft and crossmember. When it's done dripping, I throw away the foil.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Fumoto valve & 3/8" I.D. clear plastic tubing.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Raise the front of the vehicle a little, when i worked in the dealership i would intentionally raise the vehicle up nose high so the oil would clear the plate. You only have to raise it several inches, some of the other techs would use a molded peice of steel like an old license plate folded into a V to direct the oil.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
SixPak;1591790; said:
Fumoto valve & 3/8" I.D. clear plastic tubing.

:exactly:

But I only have a 2wd and no skid plate...

·
Registered
5,839 Posts

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Clark20ry;1591821; said:
:exactly:

But I only have a 2wd and no skid plate...
No mess with a 2wd.
I can even get the filter off without oil running down my arm by "pushing up" on the filter and quickly removing it while the oil is still flowing out of it.
At least it's not like my old 6.0 where the exhaust pipe ran right in front of the drain plug.

·
Registered
335 Posts
X2 on the Fumoto valve. Atleast the filter is easy to get to. Its above the 4WD drive shaft on the 8.1L.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
fumoto valve

loosen oil filter, then slip a ziploc bag over it, then take it off. not a single drop of oil makes it to my driveway.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Thankful;1591687; said:
If you know you'll not be going off road, take the skid plate off.
RayMich;1591738; said:
I remove the skid plate. It's only four bolts to take off and put back on. It makes it a lot easier to lube the zerk fittings in the the front end too.

I also use aluminum foil and wrap it around the front drive shaft and make sort of a drain gutter to channel the oil dripping from the oil filter into the drain pan. Keeks from making a mess on the drive shaft and crossmember. When it's done dripping, I throw away the foil.
:exactly:Same here...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I take out three bolts and loosen one bolt from my skid plate and then swing it out of the way. Where can you purchase on of these "Fumoto valves" that everyone is recommending, and is there any chance of them coming open while driving down the road?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
ibfarmerduramax;1594247; said:
I take out three bolts and loosen one bolt from my skid plate and then swing it out of the way. Where can you purchase on of these "Fumoto valves" that everyone is recommending, and is there any chance of them coming open while driving down the road?
I know at least two of our vendors have them, Kennedy Diesel and Eric at Merchant Auto...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Been on for 170K miles, no problem. The valve has a spring loaded tab. Buy it from Eric at Merchant Automotive in the vendor section.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I trimmed my skid plate around the drain plug with a die grinder so oil runs past it with out getting on it.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I got mine from Eric @ Merchant...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts