Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if the Duramax will start a cold engine without the glow plugs working.

Anyone ever tried?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
It will start at below freezing temperatures. How far below, I don't know.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Even if the glow plugs are inop, the intake grid heater may still work which would help a lot I believe. Due in part to the multiple heaters I would not use ether in this engine for any reason, even if your sure the glow plugs are inop.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Well I zapped a fuse that acording to my dealer is for the air intake heater and the glow plugs. It started this moring fine and yesterday moring fine with no extra cranking, started like normal. temps in the low 50's. Been waiting on the fuse to come in. So if the dealer knows what he is talking about it will start fine at 50 with no glow plugs or air intake heater.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its nice to know we are not stranded if they don't work.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
ratlover said:
So if the dealer knows what he is talking about it will start fine at 50 with no glow plugs or air intake heater.

Your glow plug light does not work I assume..... What fuse is it... We could pull it and give it a try at lowwer temps......

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
175 amp maxi fuse is what is listed.
Suckers bigger than most house fuses.

I am really wondering if it wasnt geting juice though. The wait to start light did come on. Truck acted like normal.....started right up? I still can believe the truck acted 100% normal maybe the glow plugs were lighting?
Says on the invoice codes p0380 and p0540 no juice to glow plugs or air intake heater.

Hell, if it drops below 60 I rarley can start my dads 89 ford with the glowplugs with out a bit of ether.

Temps were down to the 40's at night and 50's by the time I turned her over. Not pluged in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
it is direct injected you probably won't have much trouble until you get below thirty degrees.an indirect injected diesel such as a pre powerstroke ford or gm 6.2 or 6.5 needs them all the time until they are warmed up!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I havent read all the comments but the DX will start at 18F without heating. Now that may not be a way to do it but if your batt is low it will start. Im in the cold country and I dont wait for heat-up. This is a great engine. I had a Cummins befor and it like VW and Cadilac. I tow a 30t 5th from east canad ato Fla or Texas. The best!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts