Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on this '94 since diagnosing sour fuel in the tank causing an IP failure has been a nightmare and money pit since day one!

The entire fuel system is new. Tank, sending unit, pre filter, lines, lift pump, ffm, injection pump, relocated flight systems pmd

Everything used was ACDelco, other than Delphi injectors.

IP was timed accordingly.....TDC on crank, crank at 12 o'clock, cam at 6 o clock and line up marks, then rotate cam 180* and line up marks for IP. New chain as well..

Fuel pressure gauge shows 10 psi fuel psi, however I notice it drops to 5 when cranking. My previous issue will show a prolonged starting issue and I'm starting to wonder if I'm loosing voltage somewhere when cranking due to an ignition switch issue

NO CODES! (Gmtdscantech) Fuel solenoid response time seems to be posting valid numbers but doesn't respond when cranking. Stays still Desired timing is at 14 but measured moves all over when cranking.

New Delco CPS as well, and have tried a different pmd along with the new plugged directly in with no cable

Im not going to point directly at this new IP being bad. I'm convinced I'm up against an electrical bug here. Please help me find it!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,989 Posts
Make sure your PMD has a resistor installed.
Gut/remove the fuel shut off plunger so that fuel will flow.
Remove the glows and crank the engine for 15 seconds then let it rest for 5 minutes( repeat) till you see a fuel fog coming from the glow plug holes.
Reinstall and attempt to start.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm aware that a fair amount of cranking is necessary to prime the pump.

I didn't remove the glows, but did crank it for 10 seconds with 1 minute rests about 8 times repeated now and am yet to see fuel. I have cracked a driver side line as well.

I've verified the shut off solenoid is functioning.

Resistor number 9 installed.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,793 Posts
You need to do more cranking.
Sometimes it takes a solid 5 to 10 minutes if IP is great.

I am assuming you bought the IP from reputable IP rebuilder/shop.
There is really no ACDelco IP, only Stanadyne.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to do more cranking.
Sometimes it takes a solid 5 to 10 minutes if IP is great.

I am assuming you bought the IP from reputable IP rebuilder/shop.
There is really no ACDelco IP, only Stanadyne.
Yeah, I know there is only stanadyne pumps.

Bought the pump from the local dealer, and it was stamped ACdelco on the box, with a reman certificate inside from a stanadyne dealer in North Florida.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like I need to crank more.

My batteries are getting mad. I'm going to charge them

Will I be safe removing only the 'easy' access glows to ease cranking

·
Administrator
15,989 Posts
Sounds like I need to crank more.

My batteries are getting mad. I'm going to charge them

Will I be safe removing only the 'easy' access glows to ease cranking

Yes you can remove one bank of glows.
Make sure those batteries are fully charged to handle the needs.
grab a can of WD40 or your favorite cooking spray and give the intake a quick shot to help it fire off
Double check all of your fuses

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Being alone, I'm going to hookup a remote starter sw to the solenoid so I can crank it while I'm under the hood..leaving the key in the on position.

I pulled the return line from the IP...there is good clear air free fuel coming from it when it's cranking..

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Code 18 and 19.

Crank reference and cam reference.

Photos of my timing below. It was quadruple checked, second by another eye.

There has to be something obnoxious stupid happening here. I've cranked my ass here. No fuel ...at all

View photos

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While cranking my desired timing is 14* however my measured is up at 25*.

What in the actual hell is going on here!?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm plenty confident I have cranked more than enough and I have absolutely no fuel.

I'm convinced I'm gonna burn it to the ground!

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Modified Gremlin Remover

The DieselPro Gremlin Remover

The Gremlin Remover for those pesky electric quirks.

Disconnect All
1. OPS - Oil Pressure sensor > Back of block or late model in the valley
2. CPS - Crank Position Sensor > Front of motor timing chain cover
3. MAP - Manifold Atmospheric Pressure > Top Of Intake Manifold
4. IAT - Intake Air Temperature > Top Of Intake
5. CTS - Coolant Temp Sensor > Located on drivers side head for gauge only.
6. ECM CTS - Temp sensor reports to the ecm > In the t-stat crossover manifold
7. FFM- Fuel Filter Manager > Located in rear valley of engine
8. EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation >Driver side top middle of valve cover
9. WGS - Waste Gate Solenoid > Driver side top middle of valve cover
10. Disconnect any PMD extensions and hook it backup to original IP wiring harness.
11. Remove the shut-off solenoid plunger if you don't feel it click.

Now the only thing that has to be hooked up is the optic sensor on top of the IP and the fuel shut-off solenoid and of course the PMD back on the original wiring harness. Make sure the ground wire is still attached to the top IP cover. Hot wire the fuel supply pump. Should crank in about 10-15 seconds of cranking.
This should eliminate 90% of the gremlins.

·
Administrator
15,989 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After actually reading a list of everything connected i had an epiphany. I couldnt fricken believe it.

I had remembered that the fuel heater had gone bad and kept blowing the 'gauge' fuse.

Well during my re-assembly, i had forgotten that, and plugged it back in. Apparently was causing enough of a short to cause a fault to the PCM.

Anyhow, unplugged the fuel heater, had fuel within 10-15 seconds of cranking and after re installing the glows she busted off. Got it timed to a -1.54 tdco, runs like a brand new one- no leaks, and no codes.

I was really beating myself up thinking i had the timing wrong. Thanks for everything guys ... and hopefully this helps someone in the future.

·
Administrator
15,989 Posts
After actually reading a list of everything connected i had an epiphany. I couldnt fricken believe it.

I had remembered that the fuel heater had gone bad and kept blowing the 'gauge' fuse.

Well during my re-assembly, i had forgotten that, and plugged it back in. Apparently was causing enough of a short to cause a fault to the PCM.

Anyhow, unplugged the fuel heater, had fuel within 10-15 seconds of cranking and after re installing the glows she busted off. Got it timed to a -1.54 tdco, runs like a brand new one- no leaks, and no codes.

I was really beating myself up thinking i had the timing wrong. Thanks for everything guys ... and hopefully this helps someone in the future.
Glad your issue is resolved.
Thanks for giving us an update!

(y)

Reactions: jmp417

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Lil vid of this mornings 'cold' start (hot and humid here in FL)

Reactions: JMJNet and OkDually

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
I'll need to add that Item to the DieselPro Gremlin Remover List, but I guess that is the FFM plug you un-plug. I am starting to be really amazed at how many vehicles can be "cured" by just un-plugging a few things. Glad it fixed your problem.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Another thanks for the follow-up. Memory is a tough thing to lose. I know. Memory is a tough thing to lose. ;)
Nice job getting her back. Good luck with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts