Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us that are straight piped, why doesn;t this beast whistle, you could hear my powerstroke from 3 blocks away, this truck has next to no whistle unless you are abusing it. Is there some sort of baffle in the exhaust??

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Nature of the IHI turbo. Put an AFE intake on it and it will sing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't think is some much the turbo itself that whistles with an AFE. We put one on JK's truck on the dyno and it sounds like a high power vaccum cleaner. Its just the design of the filter itself that makes the high power vaccum whistle sound. Stand next to one on a dyno and you'll see what I mean. I am straight piped and you can hear my turbo whistle out the exhaust. I have a stock swiss cheesed box with a UNI filter.Edited by: Maverick

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hey Wicked ya just have to stand on it hard enought to build some boost!

·
Registered
224 Posts
The AFE will fix it.. It'll sing like a bird.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Any ideas on how to make her sing without droping 200+ $$$?

Your probably going to tell me that a UNI with a swisschessed box, a 4"-5" exhaust and the juice will help. It does but not enough

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'll lend you my 3 yr old son for a day. I just picked him up a harmonica. I think that will take care of it.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I can burn and send you a CD to listen to ... with a recording of a 747 taking off. :)

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you're too cheap for an aftermarket intake, like me, put in a K&N filter (or something similar) and remove the plastic cover over the top of the engine. It's an air chamber that comes off the intake. Pull it's rubber hose off of the intake tube and plug it.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I gota UNI in the stock cheesed box. I didnt notice much of a difference when I pluged the "air resivor". Maybe I will try again.

I think its just a matter of me not really hearing it in the cab. I was out driving with 2 buddies in cars beside me and I did a 4x4 launch from about 1300 rpm from a light. I was complaining about my lack of sound from the turbo and he made mention that he heard it fairly well and it sounded pretty good. He also said his GF thought she got whiplash from the launch(he told her to ride with me so she could see what a diesel could do
). Oddly enough after I did that launch my other friend decided he didn't want to run me for 50$ anymore. He was all gung ho about how his v6 firebird was going to walk me and I said ok for 50$ and he seemed more than thrilled about the idea of taking my money before he saw me launch......wonder what changed his mind?
And I just got the little juice

Mav.....So you think shoving a harmonica in my intake will take care of it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts