Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Dodge Cummins with automatic transmission thet belonged to my father. From a stop it seems as though it takes off in 2nd or 3rd gear. I have read that these are notorious for the governor solenoids going bad and causing this. The truck has 81,000 miles on it. He had the trans flushed and put synthtic fluid in several miles back. The fluid is not red, more of a brown color, it does not smell burnt. Question is, do I spend a couple hundred bucks on the solenoid and filter or does this thing need to be rebuilt? Any ideas? TIA.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
They don't have governors anymore, the computer shifts it. If you pull the shifter into first when taking off, does it make a difference? If it is starting in another gear, you may have a stuck shift solenoid.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
DODGE used an electronic governor assembly in the 98+ trannys. It is an awkward design that uses a solonoid to modulate the governor pressure vs throttle pressure to shift. It doesn't use individual shift solonoids like a GM or FORD tranny. You could also have a problem with the throttle cable not fully releasing or it is not properly adjusted.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will not start off in first even if I pull it down in low manually. Is synthetic fluid red like reg fluid?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
You need to determine if the gear that you have is 2nd or 3rd. Even with a stuck governor, usually the selector will override it when pulled into the lower gears.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went out and drove this thing around a littlte. I can pull it down manualy to 2nd and it will take off in second gear but not first gear. If I leave it in drive it starts off in third gear. I hate to even test drive it as this has to be really hard on the tranny with this much slipping going on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts