Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I put the key in the ignition to start and nothing on the dash. I turn the key to start her up and nothing. I got the starter tested and it works fine, batteries freshly charged, newer batteries. This happened after cranking the engine over 2 times for 17sec's. then only one click from the starter then I took the key out and tried again, that is when I got no electrical in the dash and no click from the starter. I looked at the starter and it was still engaged to the flywheel.
what is going on?

thanks

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I guess that I'm gonna say to check all the battery cables and connections. Sounds like you may have a loose/corroded connection. Check and see if you are getting power any where on the fuseblock. I'm guessing you'll find that you are not getting power to anything on the truck, save the starter. The starter is getting power, but without power to the ignition switch the solenoid won't energize and the engine will therefore not crank. So the problem most likely lies in the wiring from the battery to the fuse block. Seems to me (off the top of my head, without a service manual in front of me) that these trucks had a power supply wire that came from one of the battery connections. This connection may be corroded or that wire may be broken somewhere along the line. Your next project: Locate this wire, inspect the connection. If it is good, follow the wire and look for damage or cuts.

Good luck!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Fusible links do funny things :-D Look down by the starter, I know there is an FL there... cant remember what happens when it blows. I know one will take out half the lighting system... the other will take out other strange things. Would be where I would start.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If the starter is still engaged to the fly wheel then I would check the power wires to the starter and make sure they are not melted to anything and grounding out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good i hope

So, I got a new 2ga battery cable from battery to starter and cleaned all contacts. It seems to be working well; so far, I also fixed an Air leak problem so she’s running well.
I could not find any fusible links close to the starter. I also check the wire to the fuse box and it was fine, also checked all fuses.
Thanks for the input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts