Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

New to the Place, was a member at the page but it looks like evryone is here now.

Onto my subject. I have been having a problem with my dash guages. Some days when I start the truck the guages dont work at all. The idiot lights and DIC still work just no guages Speedo, Tach, Oil and so on. If I turn the key off and restart 95% of the time they start working again. But today they wouldn't work no matter how many times I restarted about 10 times over an hour. Multiple stops.

I drove by the dealer and showed the service writer but he's clueless, he said I could bring it in after New Years to have the ONE Duramax Tech look at it even though its probablly not a Duramax problem, but a Chassis problem.

It always seems to happen when it's the first start in the morning. If it works fine then it will work all day no problem.

If any one has any ideas or a similar problem with their truck let me know.

Thanks in advance Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You are not alone. Quite a few here have had this problem. I don't think anyone has sucessfully resolved it. Personally I believe the problem to be the ignition switch. But I do not have the problem, so I can not test it.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I have a spare instrument cluster your welcome to try to see if it solves the problem .....Could be a crack or bad connection in the board .... If that's not it I'm willing to bet it's a BCM (body control module) ,I'm leaning towards this .....But MP is right I think Eric made mention of this also ....

Let me know where your working or where your driving to and foe ,see If I can arrange to drop it off .... Has a lay over but what ta hell just a test unit for a while .... Installation is a snap ....Tilt wheel down,shift indicator in first ,pry of bezel gently,four 7mm screws one plug in .....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Mac, I don't think your IP will work on an 03.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Mackin said:
Max Power said:
Mac, I don't think your IP will work on an 03.
You think ??

Aw that sucks ....

Mac

No I clearly said "I don't think"

The 03 has the DIC and quite a few other changes to the IP. I would be very surprised if it did work. Although i have been wrong before.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When my truck was brand spankin new the headlights started flickering, and then the guages would fail to come on intermittently. They always came back on after a shutdown/restart though. I took her in to the dealer and the tech supposedly checked and adjusted some of the ground wires. I haven't had either problem since then.

Perhaps your service writer should make a phone call or two before he sends you away. --SS

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Came across the below info tonight in searching for diagnostic info on my truck. The below are GM SW part numbers associated with calibration files used in the Tech II to reprogram truck modules/controllers. I was aware of the update to make the high-beam indictor dimmer ... but it looks like there may be an update associated with inoperative gauges/IPC cluster. The info was obtained for a 2003 Silverado. Perhaps this is related to your problem ... perhaps not. Nevertheless I thought it was pertinent.

<TABLE width="80%" align=center border=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TH>Selected #</TH>
<TH>Description</TH></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR>
<TD>15124091</TD>
<TD>New software in lieu of replacing hardware to address warranty issue with all IPC cluster gauges being inoperative.</TD></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR>
<TD>15104989</TD>
<TD>New calibration to reduce intensity of high beam telltale at night.</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just got my truck back from the dealer this evening for this very problem. This issue has happened to me on two mornings since Thanksgiving. Both mornings were around 30F when I started the truck. For the first time, I drove the truck around all day, stopping and restarting the engine, with the gauges always dead. We were out of town and it was Saturday, so I just drove. Note that all of the dash lights worked fine. The very next morning the gauges started working again. This morning I turned on the glow-plugs and all the gauges came up to their readings. Once I cranked, the gauges died and didn't come back to life. I took it to the dealer after my second restart with no gauges.

The dealer informed me that there was in fact a "bulletin" out for a gauge problem on days when the outside temp was around 30F. He said they had to reflash the PCM three times to get the gauges to work again. This makes me a little suspicious. I think they just jimmied with it enough to get them working. Perhaps this is a real code problem and the above mentioned reflash will fix it. Apparently some parameter gets set by the low temp and a subroutine for that condition has an error in the code. At least that's what the dealer said. We'll see. (Darn it! I didn't even think to get them to fix the high-beam indicator ligth intensity. Phoeey!))

On a side note, I had been having problems with my rear electric door locks not-working intermittently. The dealer was not able to fix that problem since he couldn't get it to act up in the shop. Since someone mentioned the BCM above, I wonder if these could be related - makes me even more suspicious.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Diesel Dragon, I had the same problem you are dealing with and it turned out to be fautly batteries. How long has it been since this started? I had the exact same thing, my DIC and all other things functioned as normal but no gauges. I would say I noticed this about one week prior to my truck leaving me stranded on more than one occasion.
If you begin to notice your truck turning over slower I would dare say this is the problem, sounds crazy I know but thanks to DMAXALLITECH my gauges and truck have been cured. It is a long shot good luck. Here is a link to my post.http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1604&KW=steelmastiff

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx to all for the replies and suggestions I'll be printing out the page and when I go to the dealer I'll let him read up.

Guages have been working fine again the past few days so I'm at a loss for an explanation. But it does seem to be affecting only the 03's maybe because of the new wiring systems in the trucks.

Speaking of new wiring systems... Max Power I have another couple of questions for you about alarms.

Do you know of a module or what type of relay set up to get the windows to go up when the alarm is turned on and to also vent by going down about an inch or so. And also to go down when the remote button is pushed on another chanell on the transmitter.

My old truck a 93 3500 diesel had an UNGO alarm that could do all those options but the alarm guy says it's not so easy with the 03's with the new wiring. He said something like the window motor wires rest at + when the key is turned off so regular modules dont work.

Also does any one have anything to get the heated seats to come on at remote start. Tech says can't because every time truck is turned off heaters reset like rear defroster does unlike your HVAC which will turn back on when truck is resarted. I think it could be done by using a relay at the heat switch.

Thx in advance for any help Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Here is a window kit http://www.bypasskit.com/proddetails.asp?prodid=WIN-DATA

As for the heated seats, astro start has a module for door lock bypasses that will also turn on the heated seats. www.astroflex.com it is called IM-HDT-1

You can also go into the door and use a relay to simulate pushing the switch. I always use the module but used to go in the doors on 02 and older chev trucks.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thx Max Power

Bye Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I was talking to a co-worker with a 2003 D/A who also had intermittent gauge failures when starting. The Dealer insisted on replacing the gauge assembly, and after that did nothing to fix the failure, the Dealer found the Battery-Right was defective. It appears replacing the battery cured the problem.
With at least one bad battery, the voltage will dip lower when starting. We all know how low voltage dips when starting, and how long it takes to get back to 14.5-15V on a cold start, due to Glow Plugs and Air Intake Heater load. I have also heard, (but haven’t verified), that there is a delay after Start, before the Generator is allowed to load, and recharge the electrical system. I thought it was because the Generator output at idle, 45A, wasn't keeping up with the current loads on cold starts.
Another thing my friend recalled, was when he went to testdrive this new truck in July, the truck wouldn't start. Dead battery, or batteries. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Edited by: modified

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know this is a old post but I thought I would bring it back up in case any one else was having this problem.

I think I may have found the cause for my no dash guages.

My battery cables were loose at the starter, not real loose but still movable by hand. And I think it would somehow screw with the dash guages with either a voltage drop or interuption at start up. I tightened the nut on the starter batt cables and I havent had a guage or start problem in 1 1/2 months now.

Dont know if it will help anyone else but I thought I would report my findings.

Diesel Dragon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts