Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So apparently there is no CD player available in the new 2020 trucks. No problem I thought, I always replace crappy factory stereos anyway with good aftermarket units, amps, subs, etc. However, apparently you can't replace the new ultra-integrated factory stereo with an aftermarket unit. So, how in the world can I have a CD player in a new truck?
I was hoping to also get Sat radio built in to the new truck stereo. Well they don't offer than in the W/T package, you have to upgrade to LT to get Sat radio. That will cost me about another $6,500 on the build. There's no way I'm paying that kind of money just for built in Sat radio. All this is according the Chevrolet build site anyway. The site will only let you build a pick-up. What I really want is a cab & chassis. I'm hoping maybe if I talk to the Chevy truck sales guy he will be able to place the exact order I want. Does anyone know if cab & chassis trucks can be optioned more specifically than regular pick-ups?
Also, I'm wondering, maybe I can just ignore the factory radio and install a good aftermarket unit maybe under the dash with a bracket or enclosure of some kind. Has anyone ever done anything like this on the newer trucks instead of messing with the factory stereo?
This is bothering me so much I'm thinking I might abandon plans to get a new truck and just get a used one that I can actually put some good sound in.

·
Administrator
15,644 Posts
I would call and talk with the sales techs over at Crutchfield.
They can look up what's available for the 2020 and give you some advice on options.
Also, be sure to update your signature info on the new truck when you get it
:thumb:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, Crutchfield is always my first stop for things like this. I live about 40 miles from one of their retail stores. They're the ones who confirmed that you can't replace the factory stereo.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Are there any aux inputs for the unit in your truck? For my truck, not quite a work truck, but close, I added a bluetooth receiver (about $20 from Amazon) to the input jack on the front of the unit. So with my iPhone I can still have music and with my iPad, I can have movies without the expense of a new unit. If it puts out a bluetooth signal, It can be amplified and played in the truck.

·
Premium Member
17,837 Posts
Friend of mine put one of these in his dad's '19. Works just like a built in.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Why not just spend $20 or $30 bucks on a usb drive, scan the CD's onto it via a computer, and then plug the usb drive into your truck. Saves wear and tear on the CD's, usb drive will last ages, and you'll have all your music accessible without needing to flip through cd's and insert the one you want.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That CD player is a great idea. I had heard those existed but the reviews said they didn't work with Chevrolets. I see somebody finally made one that did, but, it doesn't mention 2020 models
Yeah, I know I can put all the songs on a thumb drive. Computers and I don't get along well. It would take me weeks of cussing and pulling my hair out to get my entire CD collection onto a thumb drive. Then, every time I go to a yard sale I buy a few more for a quarter a piece and I'd need to ad them on there.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
240 dollars for a CD player WTF is this 1985?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Probably that expensive because the unit needs to fake being a mass storage device (like a usb flash drive) from a audio CD.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are there any aux inputs for the unit in your truck? For my truck, not quite a work truck, but close, I added a bluetooth receiver (about $20 from Amazon) to the input jack on the front of the unit. So with my iPhone I can still have music and with my iPad, I can have movies without the expense of a new unit. If it puts out a bluetooth signal, It can be amplified and played in the truck.
My '15 Tahoe has built in Bluetooth to talk on the phone but it won't stream music. I bought a small Bluetooth receiver and plugged it into the AUX jack. Can play anything off my phone. If you have a phone with a headphone jack you just need an audio cable.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the responses. I decided to try putting songs on a thumb drive. I stuck it in my JVC stereo in my truck and a lot of the songs played but some didn't. So the next day I stuck the same thumb drive in the JVC stereo in my Suburban. It said "unrecognizable device". This is the kind of crap that always happens to me with computerized stuff.
As for playing songs off my phone I don't have any music on there.
I guess I need to find some teenager to set this up for me.
As to my other question; does anybody have factory satalite radio in a 2020 W/T or did you have to upgrade to an LT package?
Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Start with a decent flash drive SanDisk, Samsung, PNY, Kingston to name a few. I have find that many the el-cheepo drives do not work and don't have the capacity they advertise.

Next here is a little YouTube video that will give you the basics.

·
Premium Member
17,837 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
240 dollars for a CD player WTF is this 1985?
They were well over $1k in 1985. One of my high school buddies stuck one in his 68 Mustang, first one I saw. I do agree $240 seems kind of steep for old technology. At least it isn't a cassette player....:bigglasse

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was going to suggest hiring your neighbor’s teenager. Be sure that they understand that you are “old” and “stupid” (don’t take offense, to them you are). Tell them “no bells and whistles. Just plain vanilla”. Otherwise, you will get a complicated mess that only another teenager can understand.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Around here we just use the cd players for holding cell phones. I didn't know anyone still used CD's And thats saying something because I'm an old fart these days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been using a Soundfly Bluetooth Receiver FM Transmitter by Satechi for a half dozen years in 1997 Chevrolet 6.5L Suburban with a CD player that I have used for a half dozen years. It works great. Combined with my iPhone the Soundfly provides handsfree telephone, travel directions, music and news via internet link to Sirius XM, etc...
Less than $50 on Amazon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts